replacement overload information

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hoptap

replacement overload information

#1 Post by hoptap »

I have gotten brain-damage from all the literature, conversations, brochures, etc. Still after several sales presentations I am still not sure. What is the better window? Simonton Vantage 6500 (Home Depot) or the Renewal by Anderson Fibrex. The quotes I have received are almost identical for either of these. Needing 2 double hung windows, old wooden ones are rotting. I am in my 60's and never bought a window in my life. I live in central Kentucky. Cannot afford wood, like the vinyl and composite . Help, please. and thank you. approx $800.00 each.

Windows on Washington

Re: replacement overload information

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you are getting the same quotes out of Simonton as compared to RBA, you need to kick that Simonton quote to the curb.

While projects of smaller scale will have a bit of a premium on them, $800 per window for the Simonton re-badged 5500 is a bit out of market ranges on that window.

Have you called any local vendors?

Windows that you will typically hear recommended as solid performers are Soft-Lite, Okna, Sunrise, HiMark, Gorell, and Simonton.

I would look for a local vendor of any of those products and have them quote the project out for you. Be prepared for some shops to have window minimums, however, ranges of $550 - 650 for one of the windows listed above (in their better lines) are more normal and acceptable.

Without know the full scale of what is required in your application, it is tough to clearly evaluate the numbers, however, that is at least a happy starting point.

Be up front and honest with the contractor from the start and you should find someone that shares your same affinity for being up front and honest.

hoptap

#3 Post by hoptap »

Thanks. I have contacted 2 local vendors, too pushy and not as interested in only 2 windows (for now)
The quotes are each for two tone which I know costs more. The Simonton window was supposedly the 9500 but packaged as Vantage 6500 for Home Depot. Never know what to believe. ???
The customer reviews were better for Simonton than Renewal by Anderson however not a good repy number for Anderson so was not a good average.
Home Depot would also charge an addirtional $200.00 for the job due to only 2 windows and below their minimum. That 200.00 ins NOT included in the price so apples to apples. Anderson does not charge a minimum fee but know all prices could be better with larger order.. Any further info on these products would be appreicated. Good, average . superior or not good ???? Thanks. I like them both.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

IMO: Simonton= above average RBA=average... Neither is great or poor.
The "per window" prices that you've gotten are definitely on the high side, but as you've already identified, that is primarily due to the low volume of your project.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1