Getting closer to decision - Thoughts?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jvncnt

Getting closer to decision - Thoughts?

#1 Post by jvncnt »

I posted a long-winded question back in April about getting new windows installed in our 6 year old home, and won't bore again with all of the details, but greatly appreciated all of the responses. We are finally getting close to decision time for several reasons, and I want to get thoughts on a few last things, as well as our most recent quote.

We are doing a full tear-out, essentially new construction installation with nail flange and also obviously new exterior trim. I think we have finally settled on the Soft-Lite Imperial LS, white interior with Bronze exterior, dual pane, Super Spacer, betterview full screens, single prairie view grids.

Last couple of questions that I have are really prompted by other salesmen trying to sell us on fiberglass and/or aluminum wrapped, as well as to get thoughts on pricing. They are as follows:

1) How well does the coating/paint on the exterior last on Vinyl windows and is there any downside?

2) Is there an issue with heat build up or expansion/contraction with dark colored painted vinyl on the exterior?

3) Cost according to quote is:

23 windows in 17 openings, with some consisting of two mulled together and one with three mulled together - $19,700

This includes full tear out, reinstallation and we are supplying the exterior trim. The installer does spray foam as recommended on here, and we are already tyvek wrapped and what not.

Any input on the above is greatly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Getting closer to decision - Thoughts?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The paints on the fiberglass (if a stock color) are a bit more durable. In the case of Marvin Infinity (their stock colors) they are combined at the end of the pultrusion process if I am not mistaken.

Buddy110 knows the process really well and I sure he can shed some light on it.

The vinyl paints are designed with some higher solar reflectivity components so they, in theory, are supposed to hold up fine and actually better than foils in the darker comparative colors.

1. Pretty darn good. Haven't seen any issues yet although we are not as hot as parts of Texas and Arizona type climates.

2. Not to my knowledge. The high SRI paints do a really good job of keeping temps down.

3. Price is not out of range for what is out there.

As a quick sidebar, what kind of window is coming out and why the full tear out?

jvncnt

#3 Post by jvncnt »

Here is my original post that supplied probably way too much information: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5448

In short, we had leaking issues that we have now learned were caused by the alarm system that we had installed. We originally thought it was an installation issue. Unbeknownst to us, and as we had very little window knowledge, the alarm company drilled through the weeping system when they installed their contacts and water has been leaking through in some areas causing some mold and deterioration of some of the wood. Needless to say, their insurance company has now decided to pay for replacement of the first floor windows as a result, and since they preferred that to other options.

Add to that the fact that the windows that were originally installed were pretty low grade, we are just going to bite the bullet on the remaining 8 windows that they aren't paying for so that we hopefully get a long lasting quality window.

My wife loves the dark colored exterior look, and so long as it lasts and won't cause excessive heat accumulation that results in warping and twisting as the fiberglass window guy told us, we will probably go with that.

The air infiltration is perhaps even more of an issue for us, and hopefully this will resolve that issue.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will not have any issue with the Imperial LS twisting up on you.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The fiberglass guy does not present nor know all the facts.

So, I am think you know not to drill the contacts into the sill of the new window, you will need to use surface mounted contacts.

Soft-lite Imp Ls is a great choice, you will not have any air leakage.