Hearland Hampton Series or Alside Excalibur

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
StadlerLinda

Hearland Hampton Series or Alside Excalibur

#1 Post by StadlerLinda »

I'm replacing old wood frame windows in my 20+ modular home with vinyl replacements. I have comparible quotes from three different contractors.
One sells Renewal by Anderson 100 series
One sells Alside Excalibur
and the third sells Heartland Hampton Series.

All three are EnergyStar rated, the last two are from A+ rated BBB accredited businesses and total cost is roughly the same. The Alside replacements are inserts, the Hampton Series are full replacements and they reinsulate the rough openings as needed. I'm leaning towards the Hampton windows but want to ensure they are good quality for WI climate. Would appreciate any advice offered !!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Hearland Hampton Series or Alside Excalibur

#2 Post by masterext »

i would completely dismiss exclaibur, they are at the very low end quality wise. renewal by andersen is an average window at best with a big price tag. Hampton is also not very recommended. the windows you looked at all have high air leakage rates and are not what i would consider top performers by any stretch.
if you are in Wisconsin i would get in touch with "HomeSealed". i am pretty certain he serves your area. not only does he offer a variety of quality brands, he is a true gentleman and most importantly, very honest and forthright. i would search the board for his name and click his contact button. at the very least i would meet with him.

fridge2020

#3 Post by fridge2020 »

I agree with the poster above. The Excalibur has a reputation among pros as a leaker, and I don't care much for the other options either. I looked at the Heartland website, and the Hampton looks like there entry level offering. Not impressed by what I see from any of their products. I also noticed that they appear to have stolen some images from Plygem that are used on their home page. Given that Plygem uses the same photos and is one of the largest building material manufacturers in the world, I would guess that it is not the other way around.
Does not look good for them.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

I agree with masterext. The windows you've seen so far are not good performers, and the RBA window is so overpriced it's not funny. If HomeSealed serves your area, you just won't find a better company to do business with. He offers some of the industry's best made products and their installation is top notch as well. He'll have a variety of products, one of which is sure to fit your needs and budget.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If HomeSealed serves your area...you gotta call him.

Here he is: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5668

StadlerLinda

#6 Post by StadlerLinda »

thanks to everyone for the reply posts but unfortunately doesn't look like homesealed serves St. Croix County. Any other ideas?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Keeping looking for a better window.
An AL of < .09. I actually prefer < .05.
Sunrise, HiMark, Soft-lite are three that will meet that spec.
Also you need to choose a style of install and be consistent so that you can compare apples to apples.
I do prefer the full tear/ full frame approach.
Though both full frame or insert are valid installs. Depends on the needs and wishes of you specifically.

StadlerLinda

#8 Post by StadlerLinda »

Still having trouble finding anything that meets whats been recommended. Having a hard time finding Air Infiltration, Condensation Resistance, or Design Pressure ratings for any of the windows I've been quoted on yet. Soft-Lites and HIMarks aren't available here. What are your thoughts on Marvin's Affinity fiberglass windows? Or what about Lindsay Pinnacle - NFRC rating's on the Lindsay double hung are U-Factor of .23, SHGC of .18 and VT of .34? I live in St. Croix County WI.