Picture Window options

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dunaz

Picture Window options

#1 Post by dunaz »

Hi All,

First, let me qualify my question by telling you that I've never bought windows before and am pretty new to this whole thing.

I am replacing the windows in my 1950s ranch. (They are all single pane, the original windows, and have all been painted shut and the ropes cut, no storms or screens--such a shame.) Most of them are double hung, of normal size and don't present a problem. The picture window on the front of the house has got me stumped, though.

I don't want to significantly change the appearance of the outside of the house.

Right now, there is a trio of windows (that don't open) in the front room: two side windows that are 8 lites each (2 wide by 4 high) and a large window between that is 24 lites (6 wide by 4 high). Replacing them with wood or clad windows of similar construction would be cost-prohibitive. (Plus, the point is to not have to do the maintenance. I learned all I ever want to know about glazing and glazing points last summer.)

I will most likely replace them exactly, with three windows in the same configuration, but I can't get my head around how the grilles would work on the larger window. Would there be one large unit (that looks like 24 lites) that would snap on? If there are more than one unit for the grilles, how do they meet up so that there's not a gap of light shining through?

Thanks for teaching me! I've learned a lot just reading others' posts. So far I haven't encountered any used car sales tactics. (Whew! I feel so clean!)

XSleeper

#2 Post by XSleeper »

If you get vinyl replacement windows, you can order them with grids between the glass (they are actually sealed between the 2 pieces of glass that make up an IGU). You can specify exactly how you want them configured. 2x4, 6x4, 2x4. If I were replacing the window, I'd probably suggest that you get a 3 lite picture window - all non operating- where all 3 windows are common mulled. You could have the configuration be 1/4-1/2-1/4 (where the center window is twice as wide as the side windows) or 1/3-1/3-1/3 (where all 3 are the same size.) Ordering one large window unit that is made of 3 windows common mulled is sometimes less expensive than getting 3 seperate windows. It would involve removing the mullions between your current windows, and would result in a little more glass area than if you had 3 seperate windows installed. (One of the drawbacks to vinyl replacement windows is reduced glass size due to the size of the frame). Common mulling windows minimizes this, giving you the maximum glass possible per opening.

If you want the windows to open, you could instead think about a 3 lite slider or a 3 lite casement, where the center window is still a non operating picture window.

dunaz

#3 Post by dunaz »

Thank you so much. Very helpful information. Actually, I think I'm going to not put any grids in the picture window, and have double hung on either side of it.