What type of window for log construction?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tpcolson

What type of window for log construction?

#1 Post by tpcolson »

I'm stumped as to what style of window to pic for a log home (replacement). The current windows are aluminum frame, and a trimmed flush on both sides with wood, so all you see is a very thin strip of aluminum on either side. windows are up/down sliders. Seems the only replacement these days is vinyl, and every model I've looked at in a showroom has all the "bling" trim attached. Is there such a thing as a style of window with no trim? Or just the minimum necessary to drain water out over the wood sill piece? I suppose I could go to the flashy window dealer in town with a better description of what I want, but I'm hoping to do my on-line research first. Can't seem to find specifically what I'm looking for at any manufacturers web site. Walls are 16 in thick logs, with wood paneling on the interior adding another inch (it's a compound, not a cabin!). With that, the way the wood trim works, there are 4 pieces of face trim on each side, then the (casing?) on the inside of the window frame flush against the window frame, effectively hiding it. Also on a budget here, looking for basic efficiency and ability to hide the frame with basic wood trim, no bling, fancy trim. Any pro's reading this know (better than I) what I'm looking for? What model should I research? Does their web site include installation instructions, sample pictures of installation? Sorry, no ability to add pic. Thanks a bunch!

TheWindowNerd

Re: What type of window for log construction?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes we can help.
Where are you located? This will help us direct you to brands in your area and also spec the best glass package.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Picture and location would help.

What is best for your application depends mostly on what you want the windows to look like inside.

Every material out there has a suitable option.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Based on your description, any window should work. The only real differences that you will find (in terms of the way they are installed) are windows made for pocket replacement with a 3 1/4" jamb depth vs a new construction style with a nailing fin and a jamb depth of 4 9/16" or more. Either could possibly be used in your application, in conjunction with some major jamb extensions. It is likely that you'll need some woodwork removed, and either modified or replaced on both the interior and exterior. The circumstances of your home sound rather unique, so unfortunately you won't be likely to find a picture of exactly how it would look in your home. Your best bet would be to have a professional come out and assess the situation, and he could then tell exactly how everything would work/look... We could certainly provide some of that here, but a few pictures would be a must.
As far as products go, Okna, Himark, Sunrise, Softlite, Polaris, and Homeguard all offer very high quality vinyl.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The vinyl units that HomeSealed has mentioned are good to great to exceptional.
Another option would be fiber glass by InLine.
Are the logs done shrinking yet?