Paintable interiors?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mclaire

Paintable interiors?

#1 Post by mclaire »

My whole downstairs will be white OKNA 800's. I'm 95% good with that. But I have a bay window (picture window framed by 2 double-hungs) and I really want the replacements to match the woodwork there. I also realized I want SDL for those 3 windows.

Complicating things, I'm under contract and the window order was entered at the OKNA factory less than 24 hours ago. The bay was spec'd as white 800's. I should have thought this thru before throwing the bay order onto the DH order at the very last minute. But I think there's time to do something.

What should I do:

1. Ask the dealer to swap the 800's with Starmarks with the paintable laminated wood surface, and charge me the difference. (Is "Starmark" a different dealer relationship? Can he even get me Starmarks?)

2. Order white 800's with "wood laminate" SDLs. Paint the SDL's, prime the white vinyl casing with something like Zinser's Bullseye 123, and topcoat with latex to match my woodwork. (I bet you guys don't like this idea).

3. Find a better option from another mfg (this would complicate things).

4. Live with white (I'd rather not).

Any better ideas? Opinions?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Paintable interiors?

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I have availability to both Okna/HiMark and Starmark. But, in some markets the Okna dealers do not. You'll just have to ask your dealer.
I would imagine that if you act immediately, he might be able to still change the order for you.
Starmark is a great choice if you want a total wood look. Even the interior of the SDLs are stainable.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Did you look at the 800 series wood laminates; cherry ext?
Perhaps that matches.
Worse comes to worse You could ask for Starmark . Starmark is more expensive especially with wood laminate and of course SDL grids.

You could opt for all white as that does create a nice accent.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Call you dealer and have them hold that order until you decide regardless.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm not sure that I understand the logic behind option 2, but maybe I'm missing something. Sounds to me like the best bet would be to either get a wood grain 800, or if none of them match, get the Starmark... As WOW said, call and get your order on hold ASAP.

mclaire

#6 Post by mclaire »

I didn't like option 2 either. My woodwork is a cream/white color and the 800 is only available in white, "almond" and wood grains. None of them work, and I couldn't count on the dealer having access to Starmark, hence option 2.

As it turns out, the window order is already in manufacturing and it's too late to change anything. I'm surprised by that, but I'm not gonna call anybody a liar. So it is what it is - white with grids....

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Some companies are doing a one week turn around. If they are busy and run a third shift they sometimes have started to cut extrusions and fabricate the glass. Aslo they have to be shipped. So alot happens quickly to maintain a one or two week delivery cycle.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

agree, the order is most likely in production already. i think the white will look just fine.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

mclaire wrote:I didn't like option 2 either. My woodwork is a cream/white color and the 800 is only available in white, "almond" and wood grains. None of them work, and I couldn't count on the dealer having access to Starmark, hence option 2.

As it turns out, the window order is already in manufacturing and it's too late to change anything. I'm surprised by that, but I'm not gonna call anybody a liar. So it is what it is - white with grids....
Ahhhhh... I was thinking you had stained woodwork. Makes more sense now.
People paint vinyl windows with success, just know that it can void your warranty. I'd live with the white for a bit and see if it grows on you.
On the production, that is not surprising. Once that order is confirmed and signed off by your dealer (to the manufacturer), it usually goes right into production. Given that business slows down a little bit this time of year, it probably went right in.

fridge2020

#10 Post by fridge2020 »

If you paint the vinyl, do some research and be sure that you get the proper materials to make for a durable finished product. Be very wary of the warranty concerns though....

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Some manufacturers will stop production for a fee dependig on how far they are.Might be cheaper to paint the trim at this point.