26 windows, Texas -Erath county

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nancy1861

26 windows, Texas -Erath county

#1 Post by nancy1861 »

I've had 6 companies out - wow what high-pressure sales people - has my head spinning! Quotes from $55k (Wincore -with a "today-only price" of $17) to $11 (no pressure, but it's only a Sheffield).
-------------
I need 26 windows. My home is over 50yrs, many windows are original - most sills / frames are rotted. Austin stone exterior.

2 @ 36x36 Garden windows
4 @ 64x60 Slider
Double Hung:
1 @ 32 x 36
2 @ 36 x 60
16 @ 36 x 66
1 @ 40 x 70

Would like grids on 10 of the double hung windows.
-----------
Would also like siding, and 4 exterior doors + storms.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: 26 windows, Texas -Erath county, 76446

#2 Post by masterext »

There is a pro who frequents this board who is not only a superb window contractor but also a very honest person. His name is "Randy ", i would search the board for his name and click his contact button, he may serve your area in Texas

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Sorry, I don't go that far west. I'm absolutely not a fan of the window you mentioned, however, the price was quite good, considering that you have two garden windows. You might get a quote on NT's Energy Master or Presidential just to compare.

nancy1861

#4 Post by nancy1861 »

Thanks for the replies.
The Wincore job includes a 6’ glass patio door (but DH windows instead of garden) – installed by Sears $17k – a five hour sales talk!
The Sheffield (includes garden windows) – local “guy” $11k.

I’m leaning to the Wincore because of what I’ve read here about Alside – Sheffield. Is the $17k a good price?

randy

#5 Post by randy »

The price isn't so high that it alarms me, but Sears is not known for value pricing either. I'd be more concerned about the quality of the installation you'll receive from them. Are you planning to use them for the siding as well? How long do you intend to remain in this house?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have the same concerns as Randy for your project.
Do you go to Waco, Abolene, or Fort Worth for major shopping?
I would like to find an independent pro installer to help you.

Randy does NT have a dealer search function?

randy

#7 Post by randy »

NT has a dealer referral tab on their website, but it's not working at this time.

Nancy, how far outside of Ft. Worth are you?

nancy1861

#8 Post by nancy1861 »

When we moved here it was to fix & flip the place (we’d done 3 others – if you consider DIY a hobby - it’s like being paid to live in a house). But life changes - we’ve both been in an accident and are both disabled – TBI for him, broken vertebras for me. (Never cancel your employer’s long-term insurance!) With the poor real-estate market and current condition of this house we’ve decided to retire here – we’re in our early to mid 50’s – so god allowing we’ll be here for a while. With our savings gone we are now selling off all the attached land - this will be the ONLY opportunity to fix this house.

I’m unhappy that my two best bidders on windows are ones that you guys hate; Sears or WW. – all the others had WW brand windows with very high prices.

Yes, we’re thinking of having Sears do the siding also. $33.7k for everything.

It's about 1.5 hr drive. Or about 75miles from my home to the edge of Ft Worth. Most of the companies giving estimates have come from Ft Worth, WW is out of Waco (his installer lives about 10 miles away).

Nancy

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

That is very unfortunate. Randy and Anthony are both great guys, hopefully if neither of them service your area they can point you in the right direction. :) ... I have to believe that there is a good local company that can deliver great quality and a good price.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

I'm sorry, but that's too far out for me to go.

I'd contact NT Windows and ask for a couple of dealers who service your area. An alternative would be looking for Simonton windows. Either one would be better than the windows you've looked at so far, IMO.

nancy1861

#11 Post by nancy1861 »

When I put my zip in Anthony’s “get a quote” it says too far (same as Randy's).
I am scared of getting windows. I didn’t do well with our AC (the installers broke our ceiling all over, promised to have it fixed – never did), nor on our roof – it looks good but leaks badly during storms, the company never returned my calls. I don’t trust my own judgment. I’ve been reading this site for a while, seems there is trust-worthy people here…

randy

#12 Post by randy »

Caution is a good thing, but don't let it paralyze you. I assume the fact that you're here means you're determined to be a better educated consumer than you were on the previous two home improvements. You've learned some painful lessons, but take heart in knowing that you are wiser as a result.

The first thing to remember is that there is no reason to rush this decision - no matter what a salesman tells you. Whatever "special" price they give you on the first visit will still be good a week or two later. The second thing to remember is that you should trust your gut instincts - now that you've done some research. If you get a bad feeling about someone, there's a good reason for it - move on. Once you find a contractor that you feel comfortable with, get some details on their installation method.

Then come back here and tell us what you've found. We'll help you work through the options as much as possible.

nancy1861

#13 Post by nancy1861 »

The link on NT isn’t giving me any dealers. Google found: betterwindowsonline.com/dallas-windows/nt-window.html - are you familiar with them?

randy

#14 Post by randy »

I am not familiar with them, and I can't find a record for them with the local BBB.

nancy1861

Re: 26 windows, Texas -Erath county

#15 Post by nancy1861 »

Joe Tooley from Hico, TX 76457 FarmAndHomesw.com is coming tomorrow. He has Alside, Simonton, NT Windows – said he mostly does Simonton. Anyone know of him?