Aluminum Window Replacement Process

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
InfoSponge

Aluminum Window Replacement Process

#1 Post by InfoSponge »

I'm trying to nail down the basic install process for vinyl in place of 1970s aluminum windows on wood-framed brick home. I assume the thin aluminum frames are completely removed and directly behind those are wooden jambs on the sides and then wood also across the top and bottom of the old aluminum frame as well (permanently part of the house frame, not removed). The wood frame opening will be approximately the same opening size as the brick opening in the exterior wall but probably a bit larger. Technically, once the aluminum frame is removed, there is nothing left like a "stop" as you would find with a wood framed wooden window?

And would the vinyl window frame toward the interior butt up against the a bit of wood trim attached to the house frame (not the drywall, right)? Caulk is applied to the interior surface the new window frame butts up against and then the window is placed in the opening and some screws are applied through the window frame into the wood framing of the house. Everything is checked for being square and operating fine, shims are used if necessary. The small gap between the window frame and house framing is foamed/insulated and then the caulk is applied to the exterior where the window frame meets the brick and everything is retested again for smooth operation. If the gaps are large/ugly, aluminum trip is cut/bent and applied over the gaps left by the caulk/foam/insulation. How is the aluminum trim/wrap affixed to the home?

Does this sound about right what to expect for such an install? Please correct me where I'm not understanding the basic process.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

Also, for vinyl windows in brick openings, is any interior flashing (around jambs, etc.) required?