Marvin Integrity

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jvncnt

Marvin Integrity

#1 Post by jvncnt »

I have posted a few times asking questions about several different lines of windows, and received tremendous guidance from all of the pros that post on here. Thanks to all of you who have responded for taking the time to educate everyone on this and the other sites.

To make a long story short, I think that we are finally going to make a decision on windows (I may have said that before), and I have a few questions for those of you that install windows other than vinyl. We are not going with vinyl for a bunch of reasons, none of which have to do with any misgivings about vinyl windows.

We are probably going to choose between Marvin Integrity All Ultrex and Wood Ultrex. One of our main concerns with the location of our home is Air Infiltration, and I have read lots on here and other sites that all of you are on about how the Marvin windows aren't great in that regard. Is one better than the others?

If you were making a choice between the two versions, which would you choose? Price is not a concern because overall there is a small enough delta (did I use that right WOW?) with wood ultrex being higher, that it won't make or break us either way.

I have seen some YouTube and Photos on sites about iced up All-Ultrex, but looks like most of those end up being attributed to install issues and/or high interior humidity. Should I be afraid of the all-ultrex for those issues?

Any last thoughts on Marvin Integrity for quality with respect to dealing with Marvin on warranty issues, etc.?

Two windows we didn't price were the Marvin Infinity All-Ultrex or the regular Marvin. Should we? I have looked at them and don't see a lot of difference between them and the Integrity, but you guys are the experts.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these windows.

HomeSealed

Re: Marvin Integrity

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Ok, I have to ask: what is it that disqualifies vinyl for you?
let me preface this by saying that I love Marvin and I sell a few of their lines, but I can't fathom why anyone would choose the all ultrex over premium vinyl. Uglier, weaker warranty, and a serious performance discrepenacy.... Are you painting the interior a weird color or something?...
Anyway, to answer your question, the performance across the Marvin lines will be very close. In my experience, they delivery exceptional customer service. Personally, I prefer the Ultimate series, BEAUTIFUL window, but the wood/ultrex Integrity is a nice choice for a wood interior and some cost savings. I don't think that I've ever sold an all-ultrex.
What to expect in terms of efficiency? You should not get icing unless as you mentioned, you have some serious moisture in your home or a poor install, and I can't say that I've gotten any complaints in that regard. That said, the ratings are what they are. A tighter sealing, more thermally efficient unit is going to perform better and be more resistant to condensation. That is typically the primary trade off between wood and vinyl, appearance vs performance.

jvncnt

#3 Post by jvncnt »

A few things. First off, my wife couldn't get over the looks of the vinyl windows in general. The size of the extrusion surrounding the glass (4" on the soft-lite vs. 2 1/2" on the Marvins, as well as the sheen on the windows she just didn't like and I agree with her (softlite is the brand we were finally picking) and when we finally got them side by side with the Marvin, they just looked.... eh... in comparison.

Okna wasn't available to look at and we didn't find a Sunrise dealer/installer that we could find with any positive history or that we liked (oh and the sunrise just seemed like a lower quality than the soft-lite with no interlocking meeting rail, etc.)

Add that to the fact that we are in a neighborhood where we would be the only vinyl windows and we are seriously upgrading all of our interior trim and here we are.

Homesealed, like you mentioned, I know that you carry the Integrity from checking out your web site, and was hoping that you would weigh in. I have seen that you have been very complimentary on the Marvin Infinity lines on other sites and since those are all ultrex was trying to equate those to the all-ultrex Integrity.

Sounds like in the end, you would definitely lean towards the wood-ultrex version though if choosing the Integrity line?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

All of your reasons for going Integrity make sense. As HomeSealed said, the performance is comparable, but the aesthetics of the wood/ultrex Integrity are far better. I assume you've seen both of the options. Didn't you think the wood/ultrex was far better looking?

jvncnt

#5 Post by jvncnt »

We definitely preferred the lines of the wood-ultrex. The company we were dealing with mentioned the lower maintenance of the all-ultrex (inside). I liked that thought, but wondered if we would be giving up on performance with all-ultrex.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Last thing that I'll say on vinyl: If there is any way that you can get a sunrise model set next to the all ultrex Integrity, 8 out of 10 people will choose the Sunrise based on appearance, without even considering the fact that it is far better performance. I agree that the Softlite feels a bit more substantial, but that is the trade off for the slim lines in that comparison. The difference in glass area from Sunrise to all ultrex Integrity is almost negligible.... All that being said, if you couldn't find a good installer, then I guess the point is moot. :(
On the Marvin lines, I'd again recommend the wood ultrex as a nice bang for the buck option. The all ultrex Infinity is a bit more visually appealing than the all-ultrex Integrity, however there is no real performance advantage, and you will often pay an exorbitant premium because it is an "exclusive" line. Not that there is anything wrong with that if you like t and it fits your budget, but at the end of the day the main difference between those 3 lines will be the appearance.
Its too bad you couldn't locate a HiMark or Okna dealer. Very handsome unit with slim lines, yet very stout and killer performance.

... One last question, are you doing full tear-outs or replacements? I only ask because there is limited availability of replacement jamb depth in the Integrity line. If full frames, you have your pick. :)

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wood - Ultrex is certainly the better looking out of the Integrity options and is pretty narrow. You won't be gaining any real maintenance advantage with the all Ultrex but you will be giving up a bunch of looks.

As HomeSealed detailed out, it is not much narrower than the Sunrise or Okna equivalent.

jvncnt

#8 Post by jvncnt »

Homesealed: We are doing the full tear out, dark bronze exterior, prairie grids. You won't remember the saga from my earlier posts since you see a lot of these, but we are replacing all exterior trim and while we are at it are going to upgrade all of our interior trim (and don't scream) but are going to paint it white. And I do know that the all-ultrex and all vinyl windows do come in white.

I don't think OKNA is making headways into our part of Ohio right now. I found soft-lite and sunrise around, but no one heard of OKNA or they didn't want to sell them.

WOW: Sounds like the consensus is for the Wood-Ultrex and glad to hear that you agree! We are getting pre-finished interior so hope that they do a solid job of primer and paint.

Do any of you actually have the AI numbers on the wood-ultrex or all-ultrex? I cannot locate them anywhere online. I checked NFRC and AAMA/NWWDA. Not sure if I just don't know where to look on those sites, but I am stumped.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Ddi you get a chance to look at InLine Fiberglass? Very nice look, great performance, available split finished and with optional red oak interior.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

The inline would offer superior performance if it is available to you. The Marvins are very well constructed, but " air-tightness" is not their strong suit. I believe that they simply publish the AI as <.3 which is the minimum standard, and the actual ratings are in the .2's. You can ask your salesguy for a structural test sheet that has all of the exact numbers.... I don't have one on hand, because to be perfectly honest, the folks that are concerned with those ratings generally either opt for a vinyl or composite with better ratings, or just realize as I mentioned earlier that there is a trade- off to get the beauty of wood.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

I only have the Infinity data from before. Nothing on the Integrity but if you call Marvin, they tend to be on the up and up and will send you the data.

randy

#12 Post by randy »

And if you get a copy of the Integrity AAMA report, please share it with us. :D

jvncnt

#13 Post by jvncnt »

I looked at the Inline online a few months ago and called but they have no Ohio dealers or distrib. They said they could ship, but my contractor wasn't comfortable with installing windows with no relationship with mfg. or distributor. Also, in my work, i get concerned when dealing with foreign mfg. with no in-state presence.

I will call Marvin on monday and share what i am told. I know it wont be as low an AI as vinyl, but as you said, guess it is a trade off.