Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Replacement Window Help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 pm 

Yes, the price was materials only, so take it easy on John. He has been very helpful. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

travis4710 wrote:
Yes, the price was materials only, so take it easy on John. He has been very helpful. :D

This is what the office looks like

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:17 pm 

What do you guys think of these numbers for a BF Rich casement window:

U Factor- 0.28
SHGC- 0.24
VT- 0.41

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 pm 

The U-factor is average for upper mid range window and low for high end.The SHGC #'s can be tuned for specific needs if the company offers optional glass packs. The VT numbers typically depend on the SHGC.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:10 pm 

travis4710 wrote:
What do you guys think of these numbers for a BF Rich casement window:

U Factor- 0.28
SHGC- 0.24
VT- 0.41

Grids or no grids?

If no grids, the SHGC is a bit low for this region and the VT number is definitely low.

That is a dark window for a double pane.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:31 pm 

+1. Nothing special

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 pm 

I can't decide between the Marvin Integrity or the Okna. Anything I should be aware of concerning these two?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:08 am 

If you are talking about the all ultrex Integrity, Okna is the easy winner. That product has zero advantage over a quality vinyl window and gets killed on the performance side of things. If you are considering wood/ultrex, then you have to decide if you really want that wood interior. The only reason that I might choose it in that comparison, is if I have a wood stain color that I need to match. That said, even if that is the case, okna has their cellular composite Starmark that kills the I Integrity in performance as well.
Basically, the ONLY reason to choose the Marvin would be if you must have a real wood interior. If not, the okna vinyl and or Starmark will offer FAR superior performance ( per the ratings), better warranty, etc.... And for reference, I sell both of these products, so I like to think that I am pretty unbiased. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 am 

Thanks for all the help! Any experience with the painted windows from Okna? I need a taupe exterior with white interior and was told the only way to achieve this was by Okna painting the exterior. I don't know how much I believe that they will not fade or need repainting. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 am 

Applied paints in vinyl are very well proven at this point.

I used to not be a fan but they are a well vetted technology and have held up extremely well in my observations.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 am 

travis4710 wrote:
Thanks for all the help! Any experience with the painted windows from Okna? I need a taupe exterior with white interior and was told the only way to achieve this was by Okna painting the exterior. I don't know how much I believe that they will not fade or need repainting. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Windows on Washington
Applied paints in vinyl are very well proven at this point.

I used to not be a fan but they are a well vetted technology and have held up extremely well in my observations.

I agree. It was many years before I would sell them either because I feared the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely they have held up. I haven't had a single paint failure of any kind in the 10+ years I've been selling them. The coatings they use are far superior to normal house paint.

Here are a couple pics of painted windows from the Okna factory. The first window, the casement, is Rollex Carmel color. The double hung is Alcoa Pebblestone Clay. We order the paint in the color of the aluminum coil we bend the brickmold wrapping out of. That way everything matches nicely color-wise.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:19 am 

+2. I have nothing but good things to say about the painted exteriors. Very durable... If you think about it, wood clad windows and other materials have painted exteriors as well, so it really is not much different.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 am 

My home built in 1960, has the original aluminum windows. I lived just south of Houston and it is time to replace my windows. Home Depot, Sears, Master Remodelers and Four Seasons Sunrooms and Windows have quoted me from $5000 to 13,000 for vinyl windows. Four Seasons manufactures their own windows and the others are quoting Simonton 6500.
I am confused since all say they have a lifetime warranty but when I look on line for ratings, I see reports of all kinds of problem such as warping, peeling, discoloration, leaking of the argon gas. However, Four Seasons states their windows do not have these problems due to their superior construction. Who am I to believe? I don't want to have a fight to get windows repaired.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 am 

Sandra
There is a pro who frequents this board that goes by the name " Randy ". He is a phenomenal window contractor and offers a variety of high quality brands. I think he may serve your area. Do a search of his name and then click his contact button. He is a super nice guy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm 

Still undecided on my replacement windows...What do you guys think of the Simonton Prism Platinum?