Wood Windows vs Vinyl for an old home

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
asys016

Wood Windows vs Vinyl for an old home

#1 Post by asys016 »

I recently purchased an all brick home that was built in 1923. It has about 50 single pane windows and the glass is so fragile that a sneeze can almost break it. I like the idea of a vinyl low maintance window, but should I consider wood because of the age of the home. I looked at some Pella Windows that are very nice, but by the time you purchase the window the grids and have it painted or stained your talking >$50,000. I can purchase Shuco Windows for about $500 a piece installed and wrapped and with the grid. I have a difficult believing the other windows are worth $25000 more. Thanks for your help!!

wayside

#2 Post by wayside »

Unless your home is historically or architecturally important, IMO I don't think you have to keep wood windows.

If you like the look and the price of the vinyl windows, go for it.

If your windows are narrow, or you don't like the width of the vinyl parts, consider fiberglass windows - it is a little more than vinyl and a lot cheaper than wood, but you get a lot more glass area and they are maintenance free.

usmarine0352

#3 Post by usmarine0352 »

Historical Signicance is important.

I have a customer who's house was built in 1860. But the house is really, really expensive to heat. So he's putting in Schuco's to try to save on energy. He had to decide between historical significance and cost per month.

If you have 50 windows, that's a lot to clean...so you may want vinyl, b/c it's maintenance free.

And the Schuco white is not bright white, it's like a painted wood, so it's good for these situations.

[/img]

steelersfan

#4 Post by steelersfan »

USMarine,

Is that the beautiful redish victorian home that you had posted a picture of? I would love to see the 'after' pictures if they have had these windows installed.

Thanks

Dave

usmarine0352

#5 Post by usmarine0352 »

Steelersfan,

That's it. Haven't installed windows yet, but will post some pictures when it's done.

I posted earlier that historical significance was important. But at almost $900 a month in energy bills, can't afford NOT to put in high efficient windows. They are white interior with white exterior and a nice black trimpack.

usmarine0352

#6 Post by usmarine0352 »

asys016

I don't know where you live, but installed at $500 each for Schuco is a tremendous price anywhere.

The Red house in the above picture is getting Schuco's Double Hungs. Triple Pane Krypton.

steelersfan

#7 Post by steelersfan »

Man, thats a nice house! What part of the country are you in, USMarine?