Need help replacing my windows in Tennesee

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
beedee2

Need help replacing my windows in Tennesee

#1 Post by beedee2 »

I'm ready to replace my 20yr old aluminum double pane windows this spring/summer and need suggestions for a company/person to do a quality installation in middle Tennessee.
I plan on using windows that have been recommended as "best quality" by forum members. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need help replacing my windows in Tennesee

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in TN?

Do you have access to Angie's List or other review sites? Have any neighbors had good experiences with contractors? Any friends or family have contractor recommendations?

beedee2

#3 Post by beedee2 »

I was hoping that the Pro guys like you would recommend someone who does great installation. My neighbors have used companies that members like you (and myself) have already dismissed (Blue & Orange big box retailers and the national TV home improvement guys). I have talked with a local company that's listed on Angie's and feel comfortable with him after he described his installation procedure. He is selling a Vista Panorama Series window. I didn't see this company/window listed in the reviews section. I looked at the Vista web site and it's probably not as good as the windows recommended here.
Any opinion on the Vista window? I also intend to talk with the Lee Company here in Nashville about the Gorell window.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

If Gorell is sold in your area, Soft-lite might be as well. Soft-lite's Imperial LS or Elements line would be a great choice.

According to their website, Sunrise has some Vanguard dealers in Tennessee. That would be a good option as well.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I don't believe that you will find any HiMark or Okna dealers down there, but you should have Softlite and Sunrise which are excellent choices. Softlite owns Gorell, and the Elements and Imperial LS are the top offerings, and are better than the Gorell units. The Gorell lines are fairly solid though... Vista, in my experience is a fine mid-range choice. Not bad if you get a good deal, but the performance numbers are not in the elite category.

beedee2

#6 Post by beedee2 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll be getting more info on the suggested windows in the near future and posting updates as I learn more about each window from the local dealers.
As info about my replacement project:
I have a total 42 windows to replace, configured in various 3 sets, 2 sets with transoms , halve moon, and singles These range from small 35x33's to monster 93x73's with 22in transoms. Two walls of my living/dining room (2 story high) are almost all window! As you can imagine, I'm looking at big,big bucks for total replacement and will be getting all sorts of heart attack estimates from dealers. The Vista guy hit me for $17,200 for his estimate, so that means the really good windows will add a stroke with the heart attack!

You know....the Vista's might not be so bad after all.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depending on what he is doing, that could be a crazy low number.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

With Sunrise and Soft-lite, architectural shapes get very expensive, therefore, with the number and shapes of windows you have, you might need to stick with the mid-range windows which would include Simonton's 5500, 9800, Prism Gold, or Prism Platinum.

beedee2

#9 Post by beedee2 »

Update on window selection:
Met with the Gorell sales person and picked the 5305 with Eco Master glass pack
(UF:29, SHGC:20) as my best option. Discussed Soft-lite but it would be 12% more and I don't want that. He and I decided that triple pane was probably a little over kill for my location. Still considering the Armor glass option for safety/ sound benefits. As expected his price was quite higher than the Vista window. His est. for 29 dbl hung (2 very small) 8 picture, 5 transom, 1 large & 1 small half round came in at $23,000.
The Vista est. would was for white but my color preference and addition of 1 more dbl hung would bump it to about $18,700. So I'm looking at about $4,300 more if I go with Gorell. I do have a better feel about Gorell 5300 and the installation based on the Lee Company's 70 yr rep and in-house crew with well over 20 yrs. experience.
I'll be meeting with Sunrise sales person next week. Would like your comments on the Gorell est.
Last edited by beedee2 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a more than reasonable price for that window.

The reality is that the transoms, despite being a good percentage smaller in most cases, aren't that much less expensive.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Fair price, good product. The Gorell unit is very well built. Most of what little criticism that it does receive is due to its somewhat " bulky" appearance, so if you are pleased with the looks, it is a very good choice. :D

beedee2

#12 Post by beedee2 »

Thanks for the reply's. The 5300 is a lot more bulky than my old aluminum's and the 5100 is more like the aluminum, but looks like a storm window to me. I'll get use to the 5300 over time.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Sunrise will have a slimmer line to it so look at that one before you decide in final.

beedee2

#14 Post by beedee2 »

Update #2 on window selection:

Meet today with the authorized and only Sunrise dealer in middle Tennessee. (Estimate to follow later)

The window he sell's in the Verde (verdewindowsanddoors.com). The Sunrise web site doesn't mention this window and the brochure he left doesn't have Sunrise mentioned. The local dealer said it was similar to the SR Vanguard but didn't have reinforcement on the lower sash & is marketed by Sunrise for my area. It has a full lifetime warranty. I would use the Solar12 glass pack (UF .028, SHGC .021 & AI .01). SolarClean & SolarGuard spacer are included. This is close to the Gorell 5300 I looked at.

Another post on this site by "HomeSealed" in 2010 identified it as a "sub-brand" and wasn't familiar with it. Comments?
Last edited by beedee2 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

The Verde is a newer and less common "private label" offering from Sunrise. If you can get it with sash reinforcement, foam filling, and a composite spacer (stainless at minimum), it offers a very nice package. At that trim level, I' probably take it over the Gorell. If otoh, it is the base model without those options, it would be far closer and I might actually be inclined to choose the Gorell despite being subjectively less attractive.