Painting vinyl wrap windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rayk01

Painting vinyl wrap windows

#1 Post by rayk01 »

I am in the process od building a new home. We selected bronze windows for the house. We did not relalize that the glass block the builder installs is vinyl and only comes in white or almond. The builder wants to paint the outside trim (vinyl) the color of the house. I have been getting mixed information about that process. Has anyone ever had a vinyl trim glass block window painted, or what is your thoughts about if it would even work...

searspro

#2 Post by searspro »

Your best bet would be to check with a reputable paint shop. I've been told there is a primer made specifically for vinyl. I've never used it. I've also been told that the prep work is the key. Smooth vinyl won't hold paint as well as textured or rough, makes sense to me. Then there is the expansion issue. Vinyl does expand and contract with temperature changes. I would think the paint you use would have to stay somewhat pliable. I wish I could be more help, but that's all I've got for you. Good luck!