Help!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
interested buyer

Help!

#1 Post by interested buyer »

I need opinions on Alside Excalibur windows and the Gorell 5100. The quote runs be around $300 per window for the Excalibur and $350 for the Gorell 5100. Please advise...

Thank you!!!!

interested buyer

By the way...

#2 Post by interested buyer »

This quote includes wrapping to the window...

Is one window better than the other?

windowrep

#3 Post by windowrep »

they are both low-medium grade windows. take a hard look at them yourself. the rep should have showed you the cutaways of both the frame and the sash. all hollow core unreinforced vinyl. the excaliber sells for 139 with low e and argon gas the gorell is about the same. for 300 - 350 a window you will get that grade of window. dont expect it to do more than you put into it. a higher quality window with a strong warranty will generally cost between 500-700 bucks. shopping for windows should be viewed as though you are shopping for anything else. cheap is always cheap and quality is never cheap. for alittle more money you could do a lot better in quality. it will be worth it looking back 3 years from now.
good luck

searspro

#4 Post by searspro »

What about warranty, service, installation expertise? These are things I would concern myself with. Even the best windows "suck" (air) if not installed properly! If your only concerned about the price, then I'm sure the cheaper of the two would be sufficient. There is a wide range of windows out there. Price does reflect quality and company reputation. I can't baffle you with R-factors and heat loss ratios, but I can tell you, I've installed thousands of Sears best windows, made by Simonton. And a few Alside excaliburs, I prefer the Sears window, hands down. Take a close look at some jobs in your area. Request to see jobs done by the installer that is going to install for you. E-mail me if you want a look at what Sears has to offer. Good luck!