Schüco and FJB question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jester76

Schüco and FJB question

#1 Post by Jester76 »

Schüco and FJB question

I was just quoted 13,000 installed for 11 of their Insul-sash triple glass, double low-e with Krypton gas.

Im thinking thats way to much, any idea what I should be paying?

All but 3 are double hung.

sizes are approx.

59"X32"
58"X46"
57"X28"
57"X28"
26"X38" - Slider
38"X57" - Slider
58"X46"
53"X32"
53"X32"
53"X28"
24"X29" - Slider

also, I'm in the fingrelakes region of NY, Geneva.

Thanks for any help.

chrisexv6

#2 Post by chrisexv6 »

For comparison, I was quoted 14,700 for the following (all Corona 4000 series, Im not sure if they are better or the same as InsulSash. triple pane, double low e, krypton filled):

3 58x44" sliders
3 44x44" sliders
4 26x57" casements
2 26x36" casements
2 30x60" casements
2 18x30" awnings
1 28x36" casement
1 30x60" deadlite

This includes wrapping the outside stops with aluminum, and a decent amount of work on the inside (although I told the installers I can replace molding on the inside myself if they would rather put the extra time and effort into the outside trim).

Judging from the fact that you were looking at less windows overall, and mostly double hungs, Id say the price might be a little high. Ive been advised that sliders are more expensive than double hungs, and I also have some pretty large casements in there (in fact they said 30x60" is the max size on both dimensions that they'll make a triple pane casement).

Im located in CT....I dont know if being in the home state of the manufacturer has any effect, but it might be something to keep in mind.

-Chris

Jester76

#3 Post by Jester76 »

Thanks for the reply.

I dont really know how those compare either, but my quote included similar work, tho i think the sills and rest are in decent shape.

also, I got a quote from bristol windows for around 11,000. I may go with them. They told me their energy guarantee is 65%, as opposed to Schüco's 50%. Are Bristols quality getting on par with Schüco, or is it just a marketing scheme?

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Schuco Corporate doesn't offer an energy savings guaranty. Take anyone's energy savings guaranty with a grain of salt... they are basically worthless and nothing more than a sales gimmick. The Bristols are not in the same class as Schuco.

chrisexv6

#5 Post by chrisexv6 »

By "energy guarantee" do you mean the "guaranteed savings" from better windows?

Its all marketing hype if you ask me. If a company insists they will "pay the difference" if you dont save so much energy, that means they have to have higher prices to cover everyone they are "paying". The company I went with for my Schucos has one of these warranties, and I plan to file the paperwork because there is no way in Gods green earth that windows are going to save me 50% of the oil I use to heat my home. I dont actually plan on getting anything from them, because Lord knows there are 1001 "outs" for them.

But I didnt buy from them because of the guarantee. I bought from them because I like the windows. Have you seen the Schucos in person? How about the Bristols? Compare them both for yourself and you'll see. Ive never seen Bristols, but boy the Schucos were the nicest windows I saw (I even loved the double hungs of which I needed zero). Little things.........like the nicely inset corner seams ("shadowed" i think they call them?) to the fact that they have steel bars inside to hold the hardware on, to the "not-so-vinyl" look of the vinyl used to make the windows.

-Chris

windowman pa

Beware of BRISTOL windows

#6 Post by windowman pa »

They are a NON welded frame & they have a so called gas mixture called Alphi 10 its a mix of air & argon gas :oops: check out U factor for BRISTOL .34 :cry: