Looking for a "better" window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mailladyret

Looking for a "better" window

#1 Post by mailladyret »

Please help. I would like to replace my windows as part of an ongoing remodeling project, ie.. windows, siding and gutters. All are original to home built in 1959. I have recieved 3 quotes ranging in price. $12,000. for Preservation windows, $8500. for Thermolock windows and $7000. for Cambridge windows. Are these "better" windows? My home doesn't warrant putting in the "best", but "better" would suit my wallet. Is there an installer here in Central Illinois that I should call that offers the most bang for my buck?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Looking for a "better" window

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I know central Illinois pretty well. May I first ask how many windows are involved in your project that you are getting these quotes for? You seem to be getting quite a spread in pricing.
And if you don't mind sharing, what market are you in?

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With out a doubt or hesitation if Window4u (Dave) serves your area you need to click on the "Get a Quote" button.
Great product selection, best installs, and a super person.

mailladyret

#4 Post by mailladyret »

16 windows total. 13 are the same size, 2 are smaller, 1picture. Peoria area

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Contact Dave/Windows 4U (button by his name). True pro, no bs. He carries a few different lines to fit various needs, but the HiMark has elite performance, great looks, and a nice price tag. One of my personal favorites. :D

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Are any of those windows triple double hungs or twin casements?
A triple casement is considered 3 windows and a triple double hung is 3 windows. Just making sure we have all the details.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Another vote for Dave if you are in Chicagoland area!!

mailladyret

#8 Post by mailladyret »

15 double hung. 1 picture. Not sure what you mean. 3 bedrooms have 2 double hungs together. Picture window has a double hung on either side.?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

2 double hungs together is considered 2 windows
1 picture with a double hung on each side is considered 3 windows..did you count these as such?
Another vote for Dave by the way. He is a good person and a very skilled window contractor.

mailladyret

#10 Post by mailladyret »

Yes. My next question is, for the $5000. dollar diference am I getting $5000. worth of windows or just paying for overhead? I did hit the "Give me a quote" button and Sears just called. Not really wanting to do business with them or any other Big Box stores. As far as pricing goes the $7000. looks great, but I would be willing to spend more if the quality and value were there.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Maybe Dave (Window4U) doesn't cover your specific area.

The Preservation window is just "okay" in my opinion. It is usually a re-badged Alside Sheffield and you do some research on that window, you will see that there are some less preferable aspects of its design/construction.

Have you looked for any other windows?

Is there lead paint at the home?

Please update or clarify the window count if you can.

Premium windows that you will typically hear discussed on here are HiMark, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and Okna.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Did you hit the get a quote button right by window 4u's name and picture, or somewhere else on the site? If you hit the button next to his pic, it should go directly to him. Good local company, not affiliated with sears in any way, shape or form..... Alternatively, if he does not cover your area, perhaps it was directed to the next closest contractor in he network.
+1 to wow's product recommendations.

mailladyret

#13 Post by mailladyret »

I thought it was the button by his name. It told me he did not cover this area. The expensive guy came back today with his "final" offer. By the time they deducted the extra windows I didn't have, gave me a senior citizens discount(which I'm not) and gave me a cash discount, it was down to $9700. I forgot to ask about the sign in my front yard discount. From what I've read I would love to have windows4u give me a quote. There is a possibility of lead paint due to home's age(1959). There are a total of 16 windows, which includes the picture window. 15 separate dh + a picture. All estimates were for 16 windows total. Will try to find suppliers in the area who carry the brands that WOW mentioned.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds like the full out "Tin Men" presentation. :roll:

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What is your zip code?
Perhaps we can get to you.

TheWindowNerd