Okna/HiMark 400DX v. 800DX

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
RobDMB

Okna/HiMark 400DX v. 800DX

#1 Post by RobDMB »

I'm making my decision to replace windows and believe I have narrowed down my choices to the Okna 400DX and Okna 800DX. I am wondering if the 800DX is worth the extra price. Seems like both are solid windows, and the look of the 800DX is definitely a little nicer, but unsure if its worth the extra cost. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Okna/HiMark 400DX v. 800DX

#2 Post by masterext »

Although the HiMark 400 is solid the 800 is in a different league based on looks as well as performance. I always try to steer my customers towards the 800 if its feasible. So yes, the "800 EnviroStar" upgrade is definitely worth the extra investment.
The Okna 600 series "EcoPro" is Okna's newest window and right up there with the 800 but with a slightly better price point. It also has a more narrow frame. Its a sharp wimdow.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depends on what the additional expense is, however, as masterext said...the EnviroStar is a phenomenal window and certainly worth some sort of premium over the 400 series.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+2. The 800 is a truly elite choice and the 400 is a definite step or two down. Really depends on how much of a $$$ difference there is... Personally I prefer the 500 series by a fair margin over the 400, and for only a few bucks more.
All that said, the 400 series is still probably in the top 10% or so in terms of vinyl window performance. That company really does not make a true "economy grade" window.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I can share this with you.
My lead mechanics whine if they have to install anything besides the 800.

RobDMB

#6 Post by RobDMB »

Is it typical to try to negotiate on a window quote or is the price given in a quote generally the bottom line?

RobDMB

#7 Post by RobDMB »

Also, in terms of installation, are there any specific questions I should be asking to make sure installation is being done correctly? I know installation is important, its just difficult to determine who will actually be doing it correctly. Thanks.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

RobDMB wrote:Is it typical to try to negotiate on a window quote or is the price given in a quote generally the bottom line?
Depends on the company. Some are like buying a car with major negotiation built in to the price, others get much closer to the bottom line to start with. Either way, it doesn't hurt to ask. :wink:

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Some company sales models have room for negotiation built in but that seems to be a bit rarer these days.

Many companies will have some sort of monthly promotion and that is how the discount is presented.

In terms of installation, I would look at some previous jobs. I also prefer spray foam to fiberglass when it comes to sealing the connection between the home and the window.

What kind of windows will they be tearing out?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Rob
Normally we give our best price based on the cost of the windows and other overhead expenses. This eliminates any unnecessary negotiations. Most reputable companies do the same.
Some of the more shady companies ( as in any industry) do like to start very high. Then of course some customers are never happy and are always looking to squeeze every penny..this is kind of unfair to the company.
You seem to be dealing with a solid company.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like to get the price I quote. I do not start high and expect to come down.
There are some things that make lowering the price easier- volume, sweat equity, or cash. I do like to have my customers communicate with me if I am losing the project due to cost. I then like to review the proposals to verify apples to apples and change my spec or offering( usually means we have to lower either our product selection or install method).
I can tell you this, the nicest people get the most out of us.

RobDMB

#12 Post by RobDMB »

Thank you all for your help. I'm trying to make my final decision between the 400DX and 800DX. I have been quoted $3,440 for seven (7) of the 400DX Double Hungs and $4200 for seven (7) 800DX Double Hung Windows. This is the standard DX configuration with half screens and standard hardware. In addition, I have been quoted $960 for a dual casement window for another area of the house.

Is this pricing reasonable? Seems like it would be an extra $800 or so to upgrade to the 800DX. Is that about in line with normal pricing. Thanks.

RobDMB

#13 Post by RobDMB »

Thank you all for your help. I'm trying to make my final decision between the 400DX and 800DX. I have been quoted $3,440 for seven (7) of the 400DX Double Hungs and $4200 for seven (7) 800DX Double Hung Windows. This is the standard DX configuration with half screens and standard hardware. In addition, I have been quoted $960 for a dual casement window for another area of the house.

Is this pricing reasonable? Seems like it would be an extra $800 or so to upgrade to the 800DX. Is that about in line with normal pricing. Thanks.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Definitely in line.
The 400 is a good product, but I'd choose the 800 10 out of 10 times as long as it is within your budget. $800 extra is a pretty minor expense to get an elite product, especially considering the magnitude of the investment and the fact that this is a purchase that will be in service for 20, 25, 30+ years.

RobDMB

#15 Post by RobDMB »

Also, do most people go with full or half screen?