Need window advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
katydee

Need window advice

#1 Post by katydee »

I need some help in the Houston area about replacement windows. My house is 30 years old. The two companies I have quotes from are suggesting Burris AC series and Craftsman. Are these good windows? I don't want to break the bank on this but I have 50 windows in my house!
Any suggestions?

Windows on Washington

Re: Need window advice

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

My most comprehensive suggestion would be to slow down and contact "Randy" from this board.

You can find him in this thread here and click on his name to get connected directly to him:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5809

There is not a better option in Houston by a long shot and Randy and his company are top-flight. You will not find a more knowledgeable, ethical, and professional window contractor in your application.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Agree. Randy is the one to talk to. Excellent window contractor and a very nice guy.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Randy would be my first choice also.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Not to pile on, but I know that Randy offers the top products in your area, and runs his operation with the highest degree of ethics and quality. Definitely contact him.

On your existing product choices, Burris is regional so I'm not familiar with it. When you say Craftsman, are you referring to American Craftsman? If so, it is not in the upper tier of structural performers. That fact is going to be even more critical in an extreme climate like yours where vinyl can still be a good choice, but a strong, high quality unit is of the utmost importance.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

Home Craftsman is, in my opinion, a poorly designed window that homeowners should avoid. It's poorly designed with thin vinyl, minimal reinforcement, and pocket sills.

Burris isn't a bad window, but it has a short track record since it's a relatively new window line. The manufacturer used to produce Certainteed windows and when that ended, they developed their own line. That was about two or three years ago (best of my recollection) and that's just not long enough to know how well the window will hold up over an extended period of time.

If you're looking for premium vinyl, Sunrise is the only manufacturer still available in Texas. If you're looking more for a mid-grade product, either Don Young or NT would be good choices.

katydee

#7 Post by katydee »

What about Associated Materials Inc.? I had a quote from a company...won't say their name...who used these windows which they said are manufactured for them. I'm sure you know who the company is.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep searching in all likelihood.

randy

#9 Post by randy »

Yeah, I'd say keep looking. If the company you're referring to is initialed as GCW, the window that is made for them is a pocket sill with extremely bulky frames. To be fair though, the frames are far stronger than the previous brands you were considering.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bulky is an understatement. Pocket sills are a drawback and should be avoided when suitable sloped sills exist and are available.