New windows on a porch

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DWH

New windows on a porch

#1 Post by DWH »

Thinking of putting 17 windows into a porch It's an old patio with a kneewall that someone put a roof on and a wall of windows. The wood work they would be mounted in is 2X4 horizontals, mounted on block, and 4X4 verticals. Currently there are old storms and nothing else, so there is some wood work to do, I know.

I'm not concerned with energy conservation issues. It's a porch and we don't use in it winter and the windows are open in Summer. I'm concerned with the summer sun hitting the south and southwest facing windows and causing mechanical failures, ie. DURABILITY. I'm near Philadelphia, so 100 degrees summer highs, 10 degree winter lows.

So, given that I'm not Jaime Dimon and I'm not stupid enough to buy builder grade installed by a handyman, I'm looking for a mid grade moderately priced window that will still work 20 years from now.

Note, I had Dreamhousewindows installed 5 years ago which so far have been flawless, and they would be about $500 each installed.

Anybody have any recommendations?

fridge2020

Re: New windows on a porch

#2 Post by fridge2020 »

Idk if dream house is even around anymore. They filed a BK a couple years ago: http://www.prlog.org/11649585-dream-hou ... er-11.html
That would probably turn me off even if they are still around. I like the Okna line myslef, but there are a handful of great manufacturers that offer an option for every budget.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The HiMark/Okna 500 or 5500 could be a great choice for you. Even one of there single hung units. It just depends on your specs and budget.

theWindowNerd...

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've done several of this type of projects before. A good mid-grade window at a fair price should be sought out. Soft-Lite Pro/Classic/Bainbridge might a good choice. I like the OKNA 400 or 500 for your project as well. The last time that I did a project likes yours we did the Vista Panorma series and it turned out great. However, price wise I feel the Affinity lines made up in Bensalem offers more bang for the buck than the Vista or Simonton products.

By the way, Dreamhouse or whatever they go by these days is still in business. I'm not sure how?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

what town are you in?
DE Mike might service your area.