Need help determining which window brand is better!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rushgirl

Need help determining which window brand is better!

#1 Post by Rushgirl »

I am in Colorado replacing aluminum windows that were installed in 1985.

I have gotten quotes on the Simonton Vantagepointe 6100, Amerimax Masters Grande, and the Pella 350 series.

Each representative had nothing but bad stuff to say about their competitors and their windows and I really need someone unbiased to help me figure out which way to go.
Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Need help determining which window brand is better!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the industry is it?

Unfortunately, window offerings are somewhat regional so what is commonplace here on the East Coast is not so much on the West Coast.

That being said, all of them are pretty good windows to my knowledge. The Pella 350 is a pocket sill and while I am not a fan of that, Colorado is fairly arid so that will limit much of the rainwater concerns I have of that sill design.

Which did you like the best? If you were less than pleased with the process, are you willing to get another quote?

Rushgirl

#3 Post by Rushgirl »

The Pella and The Amerimax looked very similar with all the channels and foam insulation. I've read horrible reviews about Pella and how cheap the 350 series is as well as poor quality work from Lowes.
There are not many reviews for Amerimax but those I have found are mostly negative here in Colorado with the cold winters. Air leakage, condensation.

Over all it seems most of the 3 manufacturers seem to pass the buck when a problem occurs. Not a window problem, an installation problem, etc.

I'm really questioning the window person for the Amerimax as nothing was broken down price wise. I was given a total only, I have no idea how much each window is, labor, taxes, etc. He doesn't pull permits and he is an independent, having been in business for 25 years. I tend to feel more comfortable with Home Depot which I think may be around 20 years from now if needed.

I've read a lot about Milgard and Marvin neither of which anybody told me about. I do not know if they are not sold here in Colorado or what.

Totally confused!!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Most reputable contractors only give a total price and dont break down each individual window. They merely look at the scope if the install, determine how long and how labor intensive it is combined with their materials cost and then give a price.
I can tell you on a per window basis, a window will be alot cheaper when doing 20 windows opposed to only 4.

Just add up the total price and divide by the total number of windows, that will give you some idea of a per window cost.

Keep in mind, he needs to pay his insurance, his workers, his other various overhead, then his own personal bills. If you somehow come to the conclusion that your contractor is making a 1500 profit for only one days work, you are mistaken. After all is said and done, its much less. Most guys also dont have large jobs every day either.

As far as him being around; well he was around for 15 years and lived through 2 nasty recessions and he is still here.
Home depot is a gamble. You dont know what kind of installer will be doing the work since they use cheap subs with very questionable talent levels.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Sunrise windows are available in Colorado, and are worth a look.