Please clear up a question about window frames/sashes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Happygo

Please clear up a question about window frames/sashes

#1 Post by Happygo »

We are in the process of researching replacement windows. 14 double hung with grids (must stay within HOA guidelines). This board has already been very helpful in navigating the process.
Couple questions, I have gotten different answers from different window representatives so I need to clarify!

1) The sales people/estimators each bring sample windows with them and state that the windows will be custom made for our home. Are the sash and frame size on the sample the exact width that they will be on the actual window? One sales person told me yes, that the sash and frame size are standard. Another told me no, that the width is determined during the manufacturing process, ie it is proportional to the window size. So, who is correct? Or does this vary by window brand?

This brings me to my second question:
2) Which vinyl replacement window will give us the most visible glass? Having as wide a view and as much light entry as possible are very important to us!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

HomeSealed

Re: Please clear up a question about window frames/sashes

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The first rep is correct. The same lineals (sash and frame material) are used regardless of the size of the window. It is not proportional at all, so yes, the width of the sample is accurate for comparison. The rep that said that it is proportional was either uninformed or dishonest.
Regarding glass loss, Sunrise Restorations and Okna/Himark are going to be the slimmest design of the top-performing products. The Softlite Pro is fairly slim as well.

Happygo

#3 Post by Happygo »

HomeSealed,

Thanks for your response. This is very helpful feedback. In all honesty, when I was talking with the window rep who gave me the misleading information, I may have phrased my question in a confusing manner, so maybe he didn't understand what I was asking.
Would you consider the Okna 500 to have a slim design?

Also, are you aware of any resources online that would have actual window measurements? (specifically of the frame and sash) The sales brochures don't seem to include that information.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Every window hand sample that I've ever encountered is simply just manufactured smaller in width and height to allow sensible transportation and display. The visible glass and sash/master frame design is the same on the actual production models.

I feel Sunrise Windows offers pretty much the most visible glass out there regarding vinyl. OKNA's 400 or 500 series is not far behind as is the Bainbridge and Pro/Classic series from Soft-Lite. Fiberglass is an option if not cost prohibitive.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

The Okna 500 has a very slim frame and is a very solid window, both from a structural and energy efficiency perspective. In fact whenever i do a town home or condo ,thats usually the window i use.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, the Okna 500 is an excellent window IMO, and one of the slimmer models. I don't know of any resource that has that size measurement organized for quick and easy review, but between the archives and collective experience of the pros on this site I think that you are in the best place to get that info. The Okna 500 is 2 7/8" give or take a hair from the edge of the frame to the edge of the glass surface on the lower sash. The 800 series is closer to 3 1/8".

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote:Every window hand sample that I've ever encountered is simply just manufactured smaller in width and height to allow sensible transportation and display. The visible glass and sash/master frame design is the same on the actual production models.

I feel Sunrise Windows offers pretty much the most visible glass out there regarding vinyl. OKNA's 400 or 500 series is not far behind as is the Bainbridge and Pro/Classic series from Soft-Lite. Fiberglass is an option if not cost prohibitive.

+1

If you actually compare the VT numbers, the Okna 500/400, Soft-Lite Bainbridge/Barrington, and the Sunrise Verde/Restorations/Sunrise...are all the same with similar glass packages in them.

If those are my choices, the numbers on the Okna are a bit better in the case of the 500 than the others.

Happygo

#8 Post by Happygo »

Thank-you all for the replies.
We live in a SFH that just happens to also have a fairly strict HOA. Do you feel the OKNA 500 would be an appropriate choice for a SFH?
Again, thanks for your time and expertise.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are the HOA restrictions?

The Okna is very well received and reviewed by the clients that I know who have used it.

Happygo

#10 Post by Happygo »

The HOA just wants any replacments to match the original as much as possible, and replacement windows are supposed to go through an approval process prior to installation. The originals are wood frame windows with grids.

It is nice to hear about customers who have been very happy with the Okna 500.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Absolutely. I have some in my own home :D .... I'm guessing that the comment about mf buildings earlier was simply due to the availability of the integrated nailing fins or something along those lines. The 500 loses a few bells and whistles of the 800, but do not be mistaken, it is an elite level choice.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

Ive dealt with numerous HOA that required a so called " approval process" and they all wind up approving the Okna.

Happygo

#13 Post by Happygo »

masterext wrote:Ive dealt with numerous HOA that required a so called " approval process" and they all wind up approving the Okna.
Thank-you, masterext!

Does anyone happen to know the width of the frame and sash for the Vytex Fortis? I haven't been able to find that information elsewhere. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you compare the VT numbers, they are tiny bit lower on the Fortis (0.53 vs. 0.55) so the frame sizes would be very close.

Happygo

#15 Post by Happygo »

Windows on Washington wrote:If you compare the VT numbers, they are tiny bit lower on the Fortis (0.53 vs. 0.55) so the frame sizes would be very close.
Thank-you!