Please clear up a question about window frames/sashes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

Re: Please clear up a question about window frames/sashes

#31 Post by tmal14 »

Could someone provide the sash sizes and VT #'s compare for the Polaris Ultraweld and the Sunrise windows.

TheWindowNerd

#32 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You should be able to find that info with the installer you are working with or at the Mfg website.
Each model may have a different VG(visible glass), and VT will also be affected by the glass package selected.

theWindowNerd...

howard33

#33 Post by howard33 »

I was very interested in the renovation of window sashes in Essex. Do you think it is better to restore your wooden windows or buy new plastic ones. There is not enough money for new wooden windows. If the windows are restored, will they look like new or not?

Windows on Washington

#34 Post by Windows on Washington »

Howard,

Can you tell us more about your windows and skill level? Depending on the windows, they absolutely can be restored in this case.

howard33

#35 Post by howard33 »

There are a couple of buildings with old wooden windows that need to be properly renovated, put in order and updated. But something tells that even if a good restoration is carried out, then after it the repair will be needed in a few years. Painting, some putty, in some places with silicone again to coat the self-made double-glazed windows. In short, maybe it is better to put inexpensive plastic windows instead of repairs? What do you think? Help with advice, please.

TheWindowNerd

#36 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The advantages to using high performance vinyl are many: energy efficiency, simple maintaince, long life cycle, adds to resale value.

The disadvantages are initial cost, VG reduction, loss of wood look.

I can not think of anyone in my 40+ years fo installing windows that regretted vinyl windows if done right.

theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#37 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mostly depends if the windows have any historical value or the building requires preservation to maintain its value. If not, might as well go with something that is more updated, more efficient, and will not require maintenance.

toddinmn

#38 Post by toddinmn »

It is hard to answer these questions with the limited details that have Been provided.
To properly fully rehab an old window may cost you more than installing a quality vinyl window, 10 out if 10 times I could do the vinyl cheaper.
Rehabbing old windows is very vague because there are many levels of restoration and there many upgrades When it comes to weather stripping. Old windows really should have a storm window and often they need replacement which adds more cost. Replacing windows as rehabbing windows are all about the details and we really have almost none.
From your comments it seems you have no emotional attachment to your existing windows and what you see To be looking For would make a quality vinyl window the best choice.

fridge2020

#39 Post by fridge2020 »

howard, please excuse my departure from window commentary, but I just wanted to say that your headshot is truly fabulous. You bear a striking resemblance to the window nerd, the hair to beard ratio is nearly perfect. Additionally, your fit says "hey, I may be a construction guy, but I'm also really, really good looking".
I'm not going to let my wife view this photo in fear that she may be instantly impregnated.

Back to the windows, yes, sounds like plastic windows would be best if you don't want to maintain them. I'd recommend the not-so-inexpensive variety though unless you want to replace them again soon.

HomeSealed

#40 Post by HomeSealed »

Lots of factors to consider when deciding whether to restore or replace. As some of the comments above alluded to, the big thing is making sure that the windows have a quality build and some sort of relevance. If the house is built in 1920 and these are original, its worth further consideration. If these are from the 1980's or 90's, not so much.