Reasonable Pricing

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
argulator

Reasonable Pricing

#1 Post by argulator »

Folks, I'm still trying to get past the first part of my window nightmare....

I agreed to buy 16 Openings/25 Windows as follows. All double hung except 1 picture window.

- 4 23x58 w/Quarter Circle Top
- 2 49x81 w/Half Circle Top
- 1 Twin 58x81 -
- 1 Twin 62x81
- 1 31x81
- 2 42x81 -
- 1 Picture 36x15****
- 3 35x58****
- 1 Twin 70x58****

Well things haven't worked out so well with the contractor, and we're trying to come to fair agreement for price of what he has installed, which is bolded above. I've got to think that what he's installed are the cheapest of the lot.

He's looking for 23% of the total contract price, but I feel like I'm getting hosed. Probably will go ahead just to be done with it, but is this reasonable on his part?

Thanks. Ralph

randy

Re: Reasonable Pricing

#2 Post by randy »

Are you happy with the windows that were installed? Are you going to be able to match them with another contractor?

As to what's fair on the payment, did you receive an itemized quote for each window? If not, I would request one that shows the price you were paying for each window installed.

argulator

#3 Post by argulator »

randy wrote:Are you happy with the windows that were installed? Are you going to be able to match them with another contractor?

As to what's fair on the payment, did you receive an itemized quote for each window? If not, I would request one that shows the price you were paying for each window installed.
What's installed was fine-SoftLite Imperial LS. I can't get the rest in Soft Lite. I have no idea if I can find another brand that will look acceptable with the SoftLite, at least there aren't any too close together.

I didn't get a quote broken down by window, but have asked for one.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

What's happening with the rest of the windows? If you like the product but not the company installing, you might consider purchasing the windows and having someone else install... That is normally not recommended, but this is not an ordinary situation.

Is there any provision in your contract to deal with things like this? There should be.

Overall, it sounds reasonable to me. I'm actually quite surprised that he would be willing to absorb the cost of all of those windows that were sized and ordered specifically to fit your home. He'll get pennies on the dollar trying to resell those. Also consider all of his other costs that have been built in up to this point, from "free estimates", to ordering materials, coordinating installation, other overhead costs, etc.
Unless he did something crazy here to screw up, I'd actually say that its a deal that is heavily favorable on your end... I suppose more details on what exactly went wrong could change my mind one way or the other.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

If anything the contractor may be getting the bad end of this. Things havent worked out ? In what way?
I dont blame the guy for wanting to get paid, why should he lose money...
Most companies give a quote based on the scope of the complete job, not so much individually unless one window has tempered glass or something else that may add to the cost.

argulator

#6 Post by argulator »

The story is covered in this thread-viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6271.

The majority of my windows are 83" oriels, which the contractor did not order, and Soft-Lite will not build. Unfortunately, I didn't notice they were built wrong till they had already started installing some of the few windows that weren't oriels. He offered a nice discount for me to accept them but I can't do it-I'd be the only house in the neighborhood without them, and the lock sashes would be over the top of my wife's head.

So, yeah, he's getting stuck with a bunch of windows. I'm stuck with windows that I can't perfectly match. I just hope I can get something that looks OK along with the soft-lites and don't have to replace the few that he installed.