Window Reinforcement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

Window Reinforcement

#1 Post by tmal14 »

I'm getting close to my decision btw the ultraweld, imperial LS and Sunrise brand windows.

5 of the windows I'm replacing are very large sliders at 47x65 (3 windows), and 58x72 (2 windows)

2 windows are DH and are 47x53

Due to the large window sizes do I need to worry about reinforcement? Or is it standard across the board for larger windows like mine.

In regards to the sunrise window there is a large mark up compared to the other two brands for the windows mentioned above. Could this be due to the smaller frame size sunrise has to have extra reinforcement compared to the other two brands. Dealer is emphasizing the better full frame reinforcement sunrise uses.

Would any of the windows have performance issues such as sagging, or be difficult to operate at the large sizes.

HomeSealed

Re: Window Reinforcement

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

All 3 are high-end products and should serve you well. I would agree with your assessment of the Sunrise, that the reinforcement becomes more important due to the narrow sash frame profile. That said, reinforcement (on the dh's) would be money well spent on any of the three.
The will not be any problem with operation other than what you might expect from really large windows. They will be kind of heavy and bulky, but there is really no getting around that. Durability will not be an issue with a well-engineered product.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Perfect advice from HomeSealed.

I wouldn't worry about it from the LS or the UltraWeld, but I would opt for it in Sunrise.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I'd take the LS with reinforcement.
I'd have sliding windows fully supported at the sill or at least shim them every foot or so.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

I'm in the reinforcement camp myself.