New Construction Window Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Canaligator

New Construction Window Question

#1 Post by Canaligator »

Which window is considered better, the Andersen Silver Line or their 400 Series Tiltwash, or 400 Series Woodright?
Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: New Construction Window Question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are talking about 3 very different units there.

What is your preference? The 400 T/W and woodright are certainly better than the SilverLine.

Canaligator

#3 Post by Canaligator »

I am so confused about windows. I am told that Soft-Lites cannot be compared to Andersens. It's like comparing apples to oranges. There is no way to compare them. They are totally different. I just don't understand. I am looking to replace about 30 existing windows with something of higher quality. Why can't Andersens and Soft-lites not even be discussed together? Are they both not double hung windows that would fit in the same spot as my crappy old Caradco windows? Nobody has any idea of price. Only special people are able to purchase certain windows. Some contractors tout one brand and are unable to purchase others. Prices are all over the place. I am ready to just duct tape them all and put my house up for sale. Why does this have to be so difficult?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

First listen to what you are being told by those who have nothing to gain by lying to you.

A woodwright 400 with the same options as a premium white vinyl DH is twice the cost. Now that is just material cost and does not include install differences. The AW unit comes as both a WDH or WDHI, method of install being one major factor, the other being stock sizes are available and cheaper for the WDH, WDHI are all special sizes.
Have you done enough research to know the difference between full frame and insert replacement.
Of the regular pros I am the biggest proponent of full frame replacement, though we probably are more profitable on inserts. If you do some reading on this site you will find lots of discussion about the differences.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the home located?

What look do you really want to have at the end of the project or do you even care about the wood interior?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Both great comments above.

The reason why they are not apples to apples is because wood windows and vinyl windows are VERY different and either can be the "right" choice depending on you rgoals for the project. My recommendation would be to organize the way that you are analyzing this purchase. First and foremost, what are the main things that you are looking for in a new window? If richness and beauty, then you would probably be willing to scrifice some performance, warranty and maintenance, so wood would be high on your list. If that is the case, compare the Andersens to Marvin, Integrity, Kolbe, Pella, etc.
If OTOH, you have performance, lower maintenance, value, and a better warranty higher on your list and are willing to sacrifice something in the area of look and feel, then you are probably better served with a vinyl window like Softlite, Okna, Sunrise, etc.
Does that add any clarity?

1) Pick a material
2) Pick an installation style (replacement or full tear-out)
3) Pick a specific product or at least a couple of finalists(from a final group of like-products)
4) Pick an installation company that you trust that carries the product that you are looking for.

Canaligator

#7 Post by Canaligator »

Thanks again for all of your input. I'm sorry I lost it a little there. This is just very frustrating. I live in Massachusetts. My home is a colonial, about 25 years old. My existing windows are all wood, Caradco. They have not been great windows. Drafty, and difficult to tilt in. One in my attic has sprung and is being propped with a piece of wood. I have several that have rotted out sills and are leaking water into the house. I am going to replace about 10 of them with new construction windows due to the rotted sills and water problems. I have about 20 others that the sills are in pretty good shape and believe I could get away with replacement windows. I am looking for a window that is above all maintenance free on the outside. So I guess vinyl. I would like to maintain the "wood look" on the inside, if possible, to match my existing interior decor and trim. I need 12/12 grids, preferably on the inside of the window. "Richness and beauty" are not the most important factor to me, although I obviously want them to look good and match the rest of the house. Energy efficiency is important to me. I don't need top of the line, but would like something at least middle of the road.
I am also replacing a lot of siding on the house at the same time with Hardie Plank so my contractor list is quite limited. This type of siding requires a knowledgeable contractor as it is more difficult to install than regular siding. Two of the contractors recommended Jeld-Wen Siteline EX windows which I researched and found to be cheaper windows. Another recommended the Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows which appear to be much better windows. The Jeld-Wen contractors are having trouble finding the Soft-Lites. I was not crazy about the Soft-Lite contractors siding resume, so that's why I have been on these boards doing a little research. I came up with the Andersen 400's myself and may consider that option because it is readily available. I think I am driving these contractors crazy and I'mm sure they would rather just have me go wiith the Jeld-Wens. But if I'm going to spend 10's of thousands of dollars, I want a decent window.
So that is my tale of woe. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to explain my situation.
Unfortunately. I am still confused on what window would be a good fit for me.
Thanks again.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Windows on Washington, Homesealed or I could get you the premium vinyl windows.
I agree that the siding skill level is higher with cement siding. I just do not like JW products.

I would suggest to you to do the Himark5500DX, all as full frame replacement. It can look different doing some insert and some full frame, now is the time to do them with the siding even if you have to wait to do the inside trim work, just a thought.

Anthony theWindowNerd...