Ordered my Softlite LS

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Condolady

Ordered my Softlite LS

#1 Post by Condolady »

I ordered my Softlite LS. I got the Ultimate glass triple pane with super spacer with Krypton gas and solarban70xl. Maybe a bit overkill , but better overkill than under. I am combining two condo units and I have no plans of ever moving unless I will the Lottery big time. ( 9 double hung and two bathroom) . It was a little over $7,000.00 and installation is about $2,500.00. I got them from Morningstar, a recommendation from Softlite .My installer got them that is for me for Morningstar only deals with contractors, but once bought and installed Morningstar will take care of any problems (except installation problems).
My installer is just using the foam wrap and not any low expansion foam. The owner of Morningstar got these windows for his home also, but he used the low expansion foam. He said that as long as it is installed properly you really don't need the low expansion foam. I hope he is right...
Is that ok to just have the foam wrap?? I have no knowldge of windows except from what I learned here (which is alot) but you guys made it simple for me by recommending some manufactors.
It comes with a full screen, but my condo only uses 1/2 screens and I ordered 1/2 screens. I was told AFTER I purchased the windows that since I am having the outside painted bronze, you cannot move the screens up and down because it will scratch the paint. You think they would think of a way for that not to happen. Not that I move my screens that much or even open my windows that much ,but still...That was disappointing. I have 2 aluminium windows with wire (called fire windows),that I have to keep by NYC law-they are on the borderline and they require to be metal with wire mesh in the glass, and they are painted Bronze and the screens never scratched my window paint. Makes no sense to me...
Well in 3 weeks or so I will get the windows, in the meantime the unit that will be connected to my original is being renovated. Can't wait til it is over. I want to thank you guys for all your advice. I wouldn't have felt so confident in my purchase as I do without your help! Will let you know once they are in......

HomeSealed

Re: Ordered my Softlite LS

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

First of all, congrats on the decision. The LS is a very good window that will serve you well.
Couple points:
1) I have had softlite do 1/2 screens on painted windows, they just put a filler strip in the screen track so that it can't move. You could ask about that... Perhaps they changed their policy recently.
2) The ONLY way that the foam wrap will be sufficient IMO is if the window fits extremely tight, and caulk is used between the frame and the opening because there is not enough space to get foam in. The perimeter foam wrap is a nice option, but generally not a sufficient seal on its own. The corners are a big problem spot as they usually don't fill the resultant void completely... You are investing in an air-tight product, so you want to make sure that the installation is as tight. I would request that either foam or caulk fill that gap between the new window and opening.

Condolady

#3 Post by Condolady »

I just spoke to my window installer and he says most certainly yes to the caulk on the inside and outside of window....
As far as the screen goes, you'd think softlite would have inside tracks not to show,(not really sure how the tracks are, but I am on the 5th floor so even if i move the screens slighty to clean the sills , the scratch won't show 5 stories up, even if it does Dave from Morningstar says there is touch-up paint ,as mentioened, who will see a scratch 5 stories up???
Thank-you for your reply, but as mentioned I have no intentions of ever moving(great neighborhood, near 3 malls and grocery shopping and subway to manhatten and a view of Manhatten skyline from my window), unless I win the lottery! I wll keep my fingers crossed for that (Like everybody else)!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Alot of companies wont allow half screens ( operable) when the exterior is painted..
Why, moving them up and down can cause the finish to chip and the company does not want to have unnecessary warranty issues.

Condolady

#5 Post by Condolady »

I know when I called my installer he was surprised I changed to 1/2 screen. I told him my Condo and all the condos around use only 1/2 screens. Well any warrenty issue will be for the screen track area only. It would be only a thin line for the screen tracks. As mentioned , I have aluminium painted (Bronze) fire windows and that I Never a problem.. I only move the screens for cleaning the sills only a few inches. You can't even do that for full screens. You think they would think of a better way to install the screens on an inside track or something (like my fire windows)...

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Condolady wrote:I just spoke to my window installer and he says most certainly yes to the caulk on the inside and outside of window....
That is a given. What you need to make sure is that the gap specifically surrounding the new frame is either foamed or caulked. Not every joint of trim work is caulked, so some air will still get past caulked trim.... Not trying to be a stickler here, but the fact that they specifically stated that the foam wrap is adequate tells me that this area would not get additional foam or caulk. If it did, he would have explained that "no, we don't use foam because the gap is too small, so we use caulk instead." The fact that he did not and actually stated that the foam wrap is enough is a red flag for me. Hopefully I am just misinterpreting the situation.

Condolady

#7 Post by Condolady »

Well you could see (Visually) if there is a space or gap. right?? I would make him fill it with chaulk BTW-- Just to understand:The low expansion foam goes around the window BEFORE installation and the chauk goes after?? Do YOU use both or just one or the other???

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

There is a perimeter foam wrap that comes on the window from the factory. If I understand you correctly, this is what he is saying is adequate without any additional sealing. After the unit is installed, it is recommended to then fill the gap with low expansion, closed-cell foam. Sometimes, that gap is too small to get foam into, so then it can be simply filled with caulk. This all happens AFTER the window is installed, but BEFORE any trim is added to cover that up.

Condolady

#9 Post by Condolady »

I'll speak to the installer about that. Maybe he just doesn't want to bother with it for Dave at Morningstar said that low expansion foam is difficult to work with. So is caulking really. Aren't they in the same league as difficulty goes(Caulk and low expansion foam??)???