ANOTHER....New Construction Window Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Canaligator

ANOTHER....New Construction Window Question

#1 Post by Canaligator »

One of my contractors bids for New Construction Windows is for Andersen A Series windows. They are double hung windows, Fiberex white exterior, Factory stained White pine interior. 6 9/16” jambs white hardware, Insulated Low-E glass with Argon, 12/12 GBG white, exterior white, full screens. Tilt cleaning. I received a price of just over $1000 a window, which includes removing the old windows. Are these good windows and does this seem to be a fair price?
Thanks

TheWindowNerd

Re: ANOTHER....New Construction Window Question

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Does it include:
Remove and dispose of the old
supply & install the new
low expansion foam
cap and seal exterior
New casing and stool for interior

Why the A series instead of the 400WoodWright?

theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

$1000 would be unjustified for a white vinyl replacement, but definitely within the range of reason for a quality wood window with a full tear out install and some options.

Canaligator

#4 Post by Canaligator »

Yes it does include all that except any interior trim work that may be necessary. I was told that they would try and save all the interior trim. I am not quite sure why I was quoted the A series instead of the Woodright. Probably because I complained about not wanting the Jeld-Wens that they recommended and they figured I wanted a much better window. Are the Woodrights as good as the A series? Do the Woodrights offer the same options as above? Is there a big cost difference? The $1000 a window price I am being quoted seems like an awful lot but all the bids I have received have been in that range. I realize that there is a lot more involved in taking out all the old ones and putting in all New Construction windows.
Thanks again.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

AW WDH has everything you need. Cost less.
I would be careful as to the interior trim since we almost never reuse the old, the stools are way different. Unless you have an old or hardwood(oak, walnut, etc) existing casing the project should be quoted with new casing and stool.

theWindowNerd...

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Pricey window and a very involved install = $$$. You are definitely in the ballpark.

Canaligator

#7 Post by Canaligator »

I may just end up going with the Andersen A series. My updated price was $180 more per window over the Jeld-Wen Siteline's, which seems pretty fair. If I get the proposal changed to the Andersen Woodrights, my guess is that there won't be much of a price drop. It seems to me that the labor is the big cost, and the actual window prices I am receiving only vary by a couple of hundred dollars, one way or the other. I was just wondering. Are the A series windows any different in energy efficiency or design than the Woodrights? Are the tilt in mechanisms the same? What about appearance of the windows?
Thanks

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Appearance is comparable, though the A series has more interior prefin options: six stain, 2 white, 1 primed.
The sash locks and tilt in operation are different. You should see and operate both.
Performance is interesting A series AI<.30, what does that tell ya, they are embarrassed by the performance and do not want a comparision.
The WDH (woodwright) is AI = .13, which is average bad.
I do not suggest any window higher than an AI= .05
Based on that you should keep looking.

All these questions should be answered by your builder, vendor.

theWindowNerd...
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The last time I priced out the A-Series they were at least 25% more than the Woodrights. I would consider pricing out Marvins as well since they should be range of the Andersen's.Your windows can be ordered for stool application with the Marvin's not sure on the Andersen's. An air infiltration number of 0.13 is pretty good for a wood window and I don't know of any that are below 0.06 .Home Depot displays both series of Andersen's around here. Make sure to get all of your questions answered on the details, even the really small ones and get it in writing.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I love wood windows. But if energy loss is important to you have to seriously consider vinyl or fiberglass.
What city , state, zip is this project located at?

theWindowNerd...

Canaligator

#11 Post by Canaligator »

The project is located just north of Boston, Ma.

Canaligator

#12 Post by Canaligator »

I have heard of thre Marvin's. How are they compared to the Andersen's? What about the Harvey Classic New Construction windows? I did receive a proposal that included the Harvey's also.
Thanks

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Harvey has very good market saturation up in the NE given their location.

I have not used the window regularly but the reviews on it appear to be favorable.

I would not put it into an elite class but they are regarded as a solid mid level performer.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

compare the test data.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm a big proponent of the test data as well, although when looking at wood windows you may as well throw it out the the window (no pun intended) because none of them are very good.
Essentially there are trade-off's between wood and vinyl. Vinyl will generally provide superior energy efficiency in both thermal and structural performance, while wood has unrivaled beauty and richness... Just depends on which fits better with your home, budget, and project goals.
My advice is to always choose the material first, and then compare products apples to apples. :D