vinyl vs. fiberglass

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
PianoLady

vinyl vs. fiberglass

#1 Post by PianoLady »

We are in the process of getting quotes for 17 replacement windows and have just learned of fiberglass windows. Can someone please advise about the difference in quality, cost, etc. of vinyl versus fiberglass windows? So far we have had quotes for Schuco ($18,000 for 16 DH and one slider) and Republic windows ($6,000). I'm getting very confused.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Pianolady

If you use the search tool above you will find many helpful posts on both vinyl and fiberglass windows.

The Schuco quote you received sounds very high, unless they were going to leave installers behind to open and close them for you. However, in comparison to the Schuco, the Republic window is about as effective as an Iraqi Republican Guard- "Ready... Fire... Aim!"

PianoLady

vinyl vs. fiberglass

#3 Post by PianoLady »

Thanks for the input. THat's kind of what I thought. The fiberglass window we're looking at is ComfortLine. We are also maybe going to look at Uniframe vinyl windows. Any thoughts on these? We were just at the Home and Garden show last weekend and I was rather overwhelmed with the number of companies selling windows. Of course they all say they have the best window and the best warranty in the business.

usmarine0352

#4 Post by usmarine0352 »

PianoLady

That Schuco quote does sound very, very high.

Usually Double Hungs are the cheapest of all windows.

But I know labor costs varies per state.

Schuco is a great window.

Tru_blue

Welcome!

#5 Post by Tru_blue »

Welcome usmarine! I figured you and some others might make the jump when this site was mentioned at "the other site." A lot of good info on here (and of course a bit of not good info too). ;-)

usmarine0352

#6 Post by usmarine0352 »

Tru_Blue:

Thanks.