Sunrise Windows - Double Strength Glass???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cksiam

Sunrise Windows - Double Strength Glass???

#1 Post by cksiam »

My dealer says the Sunrise windows use double strength glass in both their double and triple pane windows. But nothing in any Sunrise brochure or website talks about this. So I'm skeptical about what my dealer thinks about this, especially since I've heard that single strength glass is supposed to be used when shipping IGUs to altitude (I'm at 6,000 ft) and/or when using triple panes.

Does anyone know the strength of Sunrise windows?

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise Windows - Double Strength Glass???

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't think they use DS glass in the the triple pane unit.

I am not aware of any altitude restrictions when it comes to glass thickness. As you get up in the elevations, you do need to account for pressure equalization via capillary tubes.

cksiam

#3 Post by cksiam »

That's what I thought too regarding the TP. Figured that would be a basic piece of knowledge that would be easy to confirm rather than assume.

Would that ever be a negative? Sacrificing double strength glass for TP units? After having TP installed in all of our bedrooms, I wonder if it would have been safer to go with double strength double pane windows since those are only 18 inches from the floor.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would not count on the thicker glass from the stand point of safety. DS glass does take a better wallop before it breaks but if you ever had a concern (and are not already required to have tempered glass per code), I would opt for the tempered glass.

They change to single strength to keep the air gap width up and mitigate the additional weight from the 3rd lite of glass.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sunrise doesn't have their glazing manufacturer which is Cardinal Glass utilize double-strength glass in their windows as a standard feature. One could request it from a dealer's stand point if needed, or if the size of very large unit needed double or triple strength glass for structural integrity. Either your dealer has worked out something with Sunrise to have this option standard on their orders or he is full of it?

cksiam

#6 Post by cksiam »

Delaware Mike: I doubt my dealer would have worked out any special deal for DS glass. If he did, he would have said something I'm sure. But twice he said he was certain it was DS and brought out a cross section TP sample to show the glass thickness. I was still doubtful. I felt like maybe he never gets asked any detailed questions by his other customers and just never thought about some of the details.

All of my windows are triple pane double hung except for two sliders. So I probably would not have had a choice for DS in most of my windows anyway. But it frustrates me that that he did not really know (likely) or blatantly lied. This is the main window he sells (it's the Restorations line) and not just a brand he can order. He should know his product better than his customers, don't you think?

It also seems odd to me that Sunrise, one of the higher quality windows, wouldn't make double strength windows standard. What's the logic behind that? Because their sashes are so thin?

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

In my area I don't come across the Restorations lines too often, and it's not a series that I carry as I have the Vanguard and regular Sunrise series. In my experience locally, the only windows that have optioned with double-strength glass standard tend to be lower end manufacturers. Their whole process from manufacturing to off the end of the installers pick up trucks seems to lend itself to more of "rough house" type of experience. I really don't see any thermal or practical advantage to double-strength on a normal sized unit.

Now with that being said, my last order of Sunrise double-hungs that I spent the last 7-days installing in this stupid brutal heat had the very first window that I saw when I opened up my shop to load up wound up having a big old stress crack in it, LOL. No big deal, I'll see something like this about once or twice a year as it could have been damaged in shipping or just a blemish in the glass. Called Sunrise and never a question asked, new sash on the way asap.

Personally, I think that Sunrise was thinking of me personally when opting for just single-strength glass as opposed to double as they knew I was getting up there in age and was putting off my shoulder surgery for as long as possible. We do so many outside installs these days with the lead paint RRP rules that we are constantly carrying these bulky units up ladders and it's bad enough that we don't always make 3-point contact with our grip per OSHA rules. One can always remove sashes to make lighter, but that would make too much sense. Double-strength glass or triple really does add to the weight so I'm appreciating those Sunrise units these days. :D

cksiam

#8 Post by cksiam »

I can't imagine hauling these things up and down stairs all day, let alone ladders, so I get how the SS glass can be a relief to you guys.

But what is a normal sized unit? My largest double hungs are 36(w) x 60(h) and I have one 40(w)x54(h). I also am having a double pane a slider installed that's 66(w) x 50(h). I assumed the DP would at least be double strength glass, but it sounds like it won't be. I still don't get why Sunrise opts out of the double strength glass as standard. None of the Sunrise dealers or the Vanguard dealer here in Colorado ever brought this up or explain how this can be upgraded. If there is a benefit to double strength glass, why would Sunrise not use it? Thanks.

cksiam

#9 Post by cksiam »

After trying to do more research online, I've found possible answers to my question regarding why Sunrise might use single strength glass. But I'm curious if any of the experts, especially the various Sunrise dealers, agree with this.

1) Flexibility Thinner glass puts less strain on the IGU's seal, especially when shipped to a higher altitude. The windows are more flexible and are less likely to crack or put pressure on the seals.

2) Wider Gaps On Sunrises 3/4 inch IGU, the slightly thinner glass allow for larger gaps between the panes of glass, especially for triple pane IGUs. The larger gaps are more important for thermal efficiency than the thicker glass.

3) Weight. The lighter weight of the glass puts less strain on the sashes and IGU seals, especially (again) for the triple pane units.

It's too late for my windows, but hopefully the answers can help others when they explore their options.