Window replacement and exterior changes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bgbrock

Window replacement and exterior changes

#1 Post by bgbrock »

If one were to replace this window with a vinyl insert, could the exterior shown in the image stay the same?

Thanks.
Attachments
001.jpg
(65.88 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

HomeSealed

Re: Window replacement and exterior changes

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Assuming that you have a full 4 9/16" (or larger) window there that has a 3 1/4" pocket to accept an insert, it won't disturb any of your exterior trim. You'll lose some glass area, and coil stock will tuck into the new window and extend out and around the existing frame. The appearance won't change dramatically, it will just appear to be more frame material.

bgbrock

#3 Post by bgbrock »

HomeSealed - Thanks for the reply!

I am just trying to get a little more educated , so as I can educate others.

Let me explain. I live in an association, and I am on the board, and we have had couple of homeowners replace windows (vinyl inserts), which the board approved prior to my arrival.

There is one former board member that is very unhappy with the way the finished product looks. To be more specific, this individual is unhappy with the the excessive white trim.

In an effort to be more meaningful for this discussion I will try to post a picture of one of these windows that were replaced, to see if it is in fact "excessive trim" in the pros minds and to understand if the installs are in fact typical .

Thanks again.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Pics would be great as there are multiple ways to trim out an opening like that.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That existing unit is an old Pella Designer series with DGP.
The current OD does not have to change. But all insert windows will look like there is more white as the frame of the insert window is much larger than the current unit.
In other words it is not the capping creating the wide white appearance it is the "insert window."
The only way to mitigate some of the change would be to do full tear/full frame windows.

theWindowNerd...

bgbrock

#6 Post by bgbrock »

Anthony - Thanks for the reply. You may have answered my question.

If I am understanding you correctly, the trim area around the existing window would be pretty much stay the same after an insert install. Fully realize that the sash width would be wider on the insert versus the current.

Thanks!

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

In most cases Anthony description will be accurate. I've seen guys add wood to the outer edge of the window frame however for something to nail their trim to. It is not necessary though, and really not even preferred. I like to cut a groove with a skill saw on the outside edge of the original frame, and tuck the trim into that. With that method, as Anthony described the only difference in appearnce is that the glass area shrinks, but the trim does not extend out any further.