Which glass package??!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Happygo

Which glass package??!!

#1 Post by Happygo »

I am replacing 14 double hung old wood windows, have gotten multiple estimates and decided to go with the Vytex Fortis.
The standard R-4 glass package has the following specs:
Ufactor: 0.26
SHGC: 0.29
Visible Transmittance: 0.53

For ~$50 more per window, I could upgrade to R-5:
Ufactor: 0.22
SHGC: 0.28
Visible Transmittance: 0.49

I'm not sure the upgrade really would do much for me in terms of performance, what do you think?
Also, is it worth upgrading the screen, do you think? ( I haven't gotten an estimate for that)
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

HomeSealed

Re: Which glass package??!!

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

$50 is very little markup on that, so it is a good deal. It will take a while to pay for itself purely in energy savings, but it will make the home more attractive to buyers should you sell anytime soon, as well as offer a higher degree of comfort and better condensation resistance if that is a concern.
I don't think that that you will go wrong either way, just a matter of what makes more sense for you and where your budget is. Both are good values, so if your budget allows, go for it. :)

Happygo

#3 Post by Happygo »

Thanks Homesealed.
I am a little concerned about the VT # being below 0.5. I read somewhere that under 0.5, the windows may start to have an appearance of being tinted, almost like wearing sunglasses. I really want to preserve as much light as possible since I have a lot of trees and shade in my yard that decrease the light entry in the house.
If you don't mind me asking, what is your experience with this?
I really appreciate your responses.

fenestra

#4 Post by fenestra »

We did TP on our home (did DP in basement). Glad we did, weight not an issue, VT not an issue. Plenty of light comes through, not nearly the "sunglasses" effect I feared. Would not change my decision in the least.

I don't know how they measure VT but I am guessing dirty DP and screens knock the VT down more than we know.

Happygo

#5 Post by Happygo »

Thanks Fenestra, for your comments.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

.49 is still pretty good for TP glass. I carry some samples that have DP in one sash and TP in the other, and you really can't tell a difference. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are EXTREMELY sensitive to the issue.

Happygo

#7 Post by Happygo »

Thank-you, Homesealed. I am thinking we will go with the upgraded glass.
Thanks for all the feedback!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I prefer triple pane and think it's wise investment as well.