Please advice - Which window is the best -Northern VA region

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
toddinmn

Re: Please advice - Which window is the best -Northern VA region

#16 Post by toddinmn »

I'm all for installing a good window,and as I said I'm not familiar with the Fortis or the Okna. The Fortis does have very good performance numbers and has good reviews on this board and has been rated with some of the upper tier windows. I have not read anywhere where it would not last as long as others or would lose performance any faster than others. Can't really see the energy savings compounding exponentially or at all unless the installation is not similar in quality but that could work against both windows.

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Fortis DP rating looks good. I would like to see the AI test result, which I can not find on their site.

theWindowNerd...

toddinmn

#18 Post by toddinmn »

It is 0.05.

npavan

#19 Post by npavan »

The AI rating for potomac is 0.05 and for Okna 800 it is .01 and .02 for Okna 500.

I read online that Okna uses powerlift - which is block and tackle window balance system. Vytex has constant force balance. Does the balance system matter?

npavan

#20 Post by npavan »

How much of the difference or effect do we have with the AI rating. Also, is there a difference between OSI Quadcaulking and the EnrG Seal - industrial sealant?

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would not be concerned about the different balance systems. Though test data gives a slight nod to the block and tackle.
In the low AI range for all three windows I do not think you will see a difference. My suggestion is always .05 or less, so all three work for me.

thewindownerd...

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#22 Post by masterext »

On the vytex fortis, try tilting in the sash and seeing if the glazing beads on the outer part are uneven or seamless and neat. That it usually an indication of how well quality control is. Are their screen corners on a 45 degree angle or do the screens have squared/ plastic corners.( you do not want plastic/ squared corners). The Vytex Fortis is made extremely well.
The okna 800 is very heavy when you tilt it in which really shows the quality of the window also; not heavy to where its difficult to use, but heavy in a good way. The glazing bead/ trim on the outer part of the sash is very neat and precise.
The handle on the 800 opposed to the garden variety " vinyl lift rail" make it really stand out.
The 3/4" constant force balance is nice but so is a solid block and tackle.
Finally, what company is offering the Fortis, are they solid and in good standing?
Last edited by masterext on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

npavan

#23 Post by npavan »

Thanks for clarification. Fortis R-4 is by window nation but they have pressure tactics of needing to sign up by Aug 10 for bulk purchase order if not the price is around $14K. Only Vytex potomac-hp is coming around $8500.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#24 Post by masterext »

I just came to find out that the Vytex Potomac is their top window and the Fortis is their middle window, i never knew that. However, both are extremely nice looking and very solid. Vytex has a very good reputation from what i hear.
Last edited by masterext on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HomeSealed

#25 Post by HomeSealed »

npa, I would just reiterate my recommendation of the Okna, followed by the Fortis as opposed to the Potomac. Regarding the energy savings between the small differences in AI and U , as I mentioned in my previous post, there will be far less difference on day 1 than in year 5, 10, or 20. The higher grade of window that you buy, it will last longer and maintain its performance longer-- I'm sure that you would agree that is pretty logical. I understand that the question at hand is regarding two specific products at different price points, and unfortunately I can't say decisively whether or not the quality difference is worth the extra $$$ on product alone. All I can say is that for most folks, their home is their largest investment and windows should be a one-time purchase, so I'd personally err on the conservative side and get the best product that I can afford....
Now to reinforce another point that I mentioned earlier: INSTALLATION! It is so vitally important. Here is a post that I recently put up regarding the importance of installation:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5903
As you can see by the test results, installation quality will have a profound effect on the performance and lifespan of the windows. A few grand extra is certainly debatable when it comes to the difference in product quality, however I'd pay far more than that to insure a high quality installation-- whichever company it is that you feel would be more apt to provide that. You have done a fantastic job of researching product and you have narrowed it down to two choices that would serve you well, so my ultimate recommendation will be to pick the installation company that you have a higher level of trust with, and feel will perform a higher quality installation. :D

randy

#26 Post by randy »

I agree with everything HomeSealed has just pointed out. Installation is every bit as critical, if not more so, than choosing the right window. Windows on Washington is as good as it gets for the Virginia area. I have no doubt you would be completely satisfied with every aspect of the process, and the comfort of knowing the windows are installed in a leak-free manner is invaluable.

npavan

#27 Post by npavan »

Thanks again homesealed. You have put rest to all my concerns and thanks for the pointer to your url and the installation seems to be equally important as the window.

TheWindowNerd

#28 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That is the reason that I suggest Windows on Washington, it is a no mistake winner for both installation and product.

theWindowNerd...