Cut the vinyl frame to make a replacement window fit???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
wmunley

Cut the vinyl frame to make a replacement window fit???

#1 Post by wmunley »

Contractor incorrectly measured for custom replacement window by measuring window 1.5" taller than necessary. They then attempted to proceed with the installation anyway and cut the top of the vinyl frame on the new window to make it fit into the existing frame. Is this an acceptable way of installing? We think not, but the contractor is claiming it is. I already called the manufacturer and they said doing this violates the warranty and the frame would not be covered going forward. I am demanding a new window be ordered but they are balking.

APpreciate any thoughts.

thanks.

randy

Re: Cut the vinyl frame to make a replacement window fit???

#2 Post by randy »

No it is not acceptable. The manufacturers stance on this should be the guiding factor. The contractor should order new windows that fit.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The key as randy mentioned is following the manufacturers standards. In some cases, a lip or utility groove can be cut off or something along those lines, but I would surmise that a full 1.5" cut off will be detrimental and void the warranty. We can only go based on the info that you have provided here, however again, I'd reinforce the fact that the manufacturer's stance should be your guiding light. If this installer has a manufacturer rep come out and approve it (ie: honor the warranty), then you should be fine. If not, I would have to say that you cannot accept this. You paid for the warranty, so that is non-negotiable.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If you are withing 0.5" - 0.75", you can maybe rip the groove like HomeSealed said but 1.5" is a bit much.

wmunley

#5 Post by wmunley »

thanks to you both. We were using the manufacture's warranty stance as the guiding principle and have demanded the window be replaced for this reason.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

1.50" too tall of a window warrants a reorder and stop work on that opening in my book. With that being said, nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes from time to time. In my last 2-years of 60 to 70 hour work weeks without any real time off or vacations I've oversized a couple of orders by 1/8" to 3/16" and have had to remove accessory grooves with a mulitmaster type tool. It's a non-structural vinyl part of the extrusion with most manufacturers such as Soft-Lite and OKNA. With Sunrise one can't remove the accessory groove as it's not offset from the frame, thus when you goof up on those you have to chisel/plane down sills or the head. Every installer has been there.

Measure twice and compliancy is a carpenters enemy.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Wish I could think of a solution that was acceptable besides reordering, but I can not.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote: thus when you goof up on those you have to chisel/plane down sills or the head.
That's what I was thinking too Mike. The possibility of a utility groove cut back and chisling the head and sill COULD net somewhere close to the needed clearance to make these useable, however that is still pushing the envelope... It also sounds like the damage may already be done. :(