Thanks to Many

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fenestra

Thanks to Many

#1 Post by fenestra »

Holy hole in the wall Batman!

Well my quest to replace the windows in our 1947 brick ranch is nearly over. I want to thank all who answer questions on this board and several others. Your knowledge and guidance has helped make the process much less daunting.

Our project was to replace 24 openings with 27 windows. We would be replacing 1947 Detroit Steel Fenestra trade mark casements. I shopped fiberglass, wood and vinyl windows. We looked at around 10 different windows from 9 installers.

After discovering that the pine and fiberglass folks are way too proud of their products I focused on Sunrise and Okna. I liked both of these lines and really liked the Restorations, Starmark and HiMark versions.

We chose the Okna HiMarks with TP for the house and a couple of Okna 500's for the garage. It was a tough decision between the HiMarks (800 dx) and the Starmarks. In the end the look of the 800's tipped the scale. We fitted them with painted exterior and mostly white interior, but a few with woodgrain and brass and a few with brushed nickel.

Big ups out to Strong Windows. Okna is not nearly as rep'd here in Chicagoland as Sunrise, so I called Strong and worked with Dave. I did not know at the time he is one of the helpful usual suspects here. Knows his stuff, nice to work with, helpful and down to earth.

And super kudos to his crew, Kenny, KJ, Randy and Kieth. These guys got 25 windows out, in and trimmed and wrapped in three days. Mad skills and a really nice install. Every one of the guys was respectful of our home, knew what they were doing and demonstrated pride in their craft. We are duly impressed and look forward to enthusiastically recommending them. I hope the windows stand the test of time, they sure are nice to look at and really beautified our home.

Only gotcha so far was a couple of basement windows came without the wood grain option, no biggy. Once the corrections come in it will only be a couple of hours and the job will be complete.

Again, big thanks to Dave and crew (and the folks at Okna) and all those that help us homeowners make better decisions.
Last edited by fenestra on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Thanks to Many

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great follow up.

Glad to hear you got it done and done well.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Congrats on the purchase! It is no surprise to hear that Dave took care of you, and I know that you'll be happy with that product choice for many years. :D

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We do know from long observation who the good guys are.
Again Dave and Strong Windows makes us proud, so you folks in Chicagoland take note he the man.

theWindowNerd....

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Thanks Mark. It was a pleasure to work with you on your project!