Schuco Warranty Improvements Grandfathered?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
steelersfan

Schuco Warranty Improvements Grandfathered?

#1 Post by steelersfan »

I understand that very soon Scucho is going to upgrade their warranty substantially. If you bought the windows recently are they going to grandfather you into the warranty?

Thanks

Dave

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

It's possible but not necessary. Schuco's warranty is changing but not their products. You are getting the exact same quality that they are backing further as they are confident they will never have to pay.

steelersfan

#3 Post by steelersfan »

Fenex. That's tue and its not that big of a deal to me. Plus I understand because of Katrina, the prices are going up somewhat anyway so if you buy now, its a wash.

chrisexv6

#4 Post by chrisexv6 »

While on the subject of Schuco warranty, is there anywhere an electronic copy of the warranty?

I know what the sales guy told me when I signed, but I wanted to see a hard copy of it if possible.

Also (in general, in addition to Schuco), is it possible for different dealers to have their own version of the warranty that overrides the manufacturer version?

Thanks!
-Chris

windowrep

#5 Post by windowrep »

I know what the sales guy told me when I signed, but I wanted to see a hard copy of it if possible.

You bought windows without seeing the hard copy of a warranty? it should be mandatory in this industry to sit with the homeowner and go over each part of the warranty{the paper kind}so they understand exactly what they are covered against. that will eliminate alot of confusion and contribute to the integrity of this industry. no matter which window you buy it is my belief that you must read the warranty. fyi, the best warranties in the industry will always state dates in years not lifetimes. lifetimes mean different things depending on which state you live in. in ohio the lifetime warranty is 7 years. check with your state. warranties should read 0-20 years 0-25 years and so on. not simply lifetime.

windowmannjny

#6 Post by windowmannjny »

windowrep- i live in NJ, where would i find my states interpretation of a "lifetime" warranty...thanks

chrisexv6

#7 Post by chrisexv6 »

windowrep wrote:I know what the sales guy told me when I signed, but I wanted to see a hard copy of it if possible.

You bought windows without seeing the hard copy of a warranty? it should be mandatory in this industry to sit with the homeowner and go over each part of the warranty{the paper kind}so they understand exactly what they are covered against. that will eliminate alot of confusion and contribute to the integrity of this industry. no matter which window you buy it is my belief that you must read the warranty. fyi, the best warranties in the industry will always state dates in years not lifetimes. lifetimes mean different things depending on which state you live in. in ohio the lifetime warranty is 7 years. check with your state. warranties should read 0-20 years 0-25 years and so on. not simply lifetime.
Yeah, it was partially my fault. I had asked about a hard copy, and then we went on to talking about something else (mostly discussing what would need to be done to get the windows to fit my current window openings). I never asked again.

I know he mentioned the warranty lengths.....20 years, etc. I remember being surprised that Schuco put years on it instead of lifetime, but what you say about "lifetime" makes sense.

I cant see a Schuco dealer "changing" the Schuco warranty on the window, so Im confident its the normal Schuco warranty. Just a little weary that I forgot to get a hard copy before the sales guy left.

Id also be interested to know if they are grandfathering ordered windows into the new policy. But my guess is that the new policy will go into effect after the April 1 price increase I hear about, and any windows ordered *after* that date would have the new warranty. With any luck, mine will be installed by that date.

-Chris

WindDoze

#8 Post by WindDoze »

The new Schuco warranty hasn't been published yet. There was a Schuco dealer meeting in ATL last fall, FenEx and myself were there among others where Schuco reps took dealer recomendations about what should be included in this strenghend warranty. We've had assurances from Schuco that when it comes out it will be among the strongest in the business.

I'd like to get a copy of it as well. Its a great product and the new warranty will certainly reflect that. I'd also expect Schuco to cover past installs under the new warranty provisions. Like FenEx said, they don't expect to pay many warranty claims anyway because the product is that good.

I haven't mentioned the new warranty to my customers yet, I'm surprised there are dealers out there talking about it before it comes out!

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#9 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

A quick note to window shoppers and perhaps window dealers. In the state of wisconsin if you imply any type of warranty you must leave the customer an exact copy of such warranty, If you don't and they buy and things go awry the customer could get the windows free, a copy is in the Dept of Agriculture hand book on consumer protection regulations. I don't know about other states but it's probably a law there too.

nmchugh6

#10 Post by nmchugh6 »

I just read a copy of a Schuco warranty that appears to be a 5/2002 version (based on a code in the bottom right corner). The IG limited lifetime is 20 years/100%; Schco charges you 80% of the selling price (yrs 21-30) and 90% beyond 30years. Coverage is provided while you own and reside in the residence; there is no language addressing transfer of ownership.of the residence.

The Rep had to dig around for this and I'm wondering if it is an old version. Does anyone know if there is a more current version for Suprema Plus and if yes, how it compares to the provisions above?