Marvin or Sunrise

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Marvin or Sunrise

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

andy2013 wrote:Homesealed

Thank for the well thought out response. While I do not agree to everything that you posted, I would like to put it to the side for now.

But as you stated "-I believe that anyone either buying or selling windows would indeed consider longevity a benefit, unfortunately there is no definitive evidence to state that one way or another in this case". Then how can anyone here even state that they last just as long as one another? Then the answer should be I don't know, correct?
Andy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that anyone stated anything to that effect. That said, while there may not be a definitive answer one way or another (there are probably far too many variables to ever say that one way or the other with 100% certainty), it is certainly helpful to present the facts that are available, as well as educated opinions and personal experience, wouldn't you agree?

fridge2020

#17 Post by fridge2020 »

masterext wrote:Just to add, there are vinyl windows with very thick outer walls but the actual grade of the vinyl was poor and therefore warped anyway. I have seen thinner guage vinyl that was a very high grade that clearly outperformed most windows with thicker walls. Its the quality of the extrusion as well as the design of the extrusion.

Although in theory fiberglass is strong, some of the very high end vinyl extrusions are as well. My problem with fiberglass windows, particularly the marvin infinity and its very high air infiltration number which i think is .27 ; thats crazy high. I will verify it. Ether way, i know its high. I do know both soft lite and okna have air infiltration rates of .01 on their double hungs.
Not only that, but that air infiltration rate will only get worse over time as those mechanically fastened joints loosen. Welded joints on vinyl is a big plus in my book. I realize that fiberglass does not move as much, but "glued and screwed" will inevitably loosen and leak before a solid, welded assembly.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

andy2013 wrote:Homesealed

Thank for the well thought out response. While I do not agree to everything that you posted, I would like to put it to the side for now.

But as you stated "-I believe that anyone either buying or selling windows would indeed consider longevity a benefit, unfortunately there is no definitive evidence to state that one way or another in this case". Then how can anyone here even state that they last just as long as one another? Then the answer should be I don't know, correct?

Andy,

Thanks for the input and furthering the discussion. I would say that each of us here has learned something by having a spirited discussion with another person on here at one point.

Where do you base your assertion that fiberglass will outlast vinyl?

Not challenging the assertion at its core but I would like to see the evidence for said assertion.

If you are quoting the Marvin website assertion, have you read the study that it is based on. You might want to.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#19 Post by masterext »

Alot of these assertions are just theoretical and not real life. Example, a high end vinyl extrusion can easily handle the heat in the arizona desert and the extreme cold in canada; that is a real life example of the durability of high grade vinyl.
To say fiberglass is stronger than the aforementioned example to me is theoretical at that point. A simplistic example would be one i use often; a 3 foot thick steel door of a bank vault ( high grade vinyl) would be extremely strong. A 4 foot thick steel door of a bank vault( fiberglass) would in theory be stronger.
Unless you plan on using a blow torch on a high grade vinyl window,i dont see a real life reason why fiberglass would be the much better choice.
Unless you are a huge fan of the corvette, i see no special need for fiberglass over high grade vinyl. Thats coming from a guy that had a corvette back in the day when i still had some game.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.