Window installer needed for Softlite LS in NYC area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Condolady

Window installer needed for Softlite LS in NYC area

#1 Post by Condolady »

I have decided on Softlite LS and this dealer requires you to get an installer.The contractor that he recommeded only goes up 3 floors.
I was going to use my contractor but he doen't have all the equipmet to do the capping on the outside. I live in a 6 story condo and am on the 5th floor in Queens, New York. I want 9 double hung and two bathroom. Can anyone recommend someone who installs the LS??

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Window installer needed for Softlite LS in NYC area

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Softlite dealer doesn't install windows so you have to find your own installer?? I've never heard of such a thing.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

That is odd, i find that hard to believe. Perhaps he is looking to buy from a dealer and have it installed cheaply by another contractor? Thats always a bad idea and never has a good ending.

Condolady

#4 Post by Condolady »

No it was a recommended Dealer by The Softlite company --> I entered my zip code 11374 and got Morningstar Doors and Windows from the Softlite website...They are wholesalers who sell to contractors only. They recommended 2 contractors but they don't do condos.They have a showroom.
I got a contractor(Highly rated) from Home Advisor that installs Softlite and gets his windows from Morningstar. I called Morningstar and they know him and said they have dealt with him and he is a good guy.
I have used Home Advisor (formally Service Magic) and have never been disappointed because I only pick 5 star rated contractors...
There is a Softlite Dealer in Staten Island , I called them but they never got back. They have installers,but from what I heard on this site , some Dealers hire not so great installers anyway...

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Ok, that makes sense if they are a Building Supply House. I was thinking they were a window installation dealer like all of us are.

fridge2020

#6 Post by fridge2020 »

You are the exception if you had a good experience with Home Advisor/ Service Magic based on the feedback that I hear. The other day a guy told me that he was contacted by over a dozen different contractors since inquiring with them, and I have heard other similar experiences over the years. Services like that will say that they only sell your information to 3 or 4 companies, but what they don't tell you is that those companies could be other lead services that then turn around and sell them to more. Dirty business in my opinion.
On another note, I'm surprised to hear that a distributor is handling the Imperial LS. I have only seen that window sold through their dealer network previously.

Condolady

#7 Post by Condolady »

Well I guess you learn something new everyday. I was surprised myself after reading on this website. I like the people at Morningstar, They are prompt, get back and give you service and answer any question you might have. Go to their website and see. They give "incentives" for contractors and such..
Morinigstardoorsandwindows.com
As far as Home Advisor goes, yes they do have alot of contractors call, But I tell them I got someone already and it ends it. I PICK the contractor(5 star). I contact them.Let's face it everyone is out ot make a buck! As mentioned , I only pick 5 star and what I like about these places like Home Advisor and / or Angies list(never tried that for they charge), you leave feed back, so they stay in line for they KNOW you can leave negative feed back if unhappy. Belive me , they stay in line and want to please for they know a very postive feedback will bring in more custtomer.As mentioned,it's all about the buck, about their reputation. They keep a 5 star reputaion, they make more money.
I did have a dispute with a non rated person (new)who polished my marble bathroom(don't need a license for that or anything)--did a lousy job. Was not satisfied and already paid him. Well Home Advisor made sure that the contractor paid me back my money..
There are alot of safetly nets with Home Advisor in my opinion. Just go with 5 star and ignore those other calls. It only lasts for a day a two... No big deal..
Last edited by Condolady on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I have heard of people that were bothered for months... Glad to hear that you had a good experience though. Personally I'd gives Angie's list more weight.

Condolady

#9 Post by Condolady »

I think sometimes the contractor tries on his own later to see if you made up your mind on someone.
BTW Sears is still calling me for my bathroom renovatione even though I told them many times I got someone...