Price of Infinity installation makes you SWOON!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Condolady

Price of Infinity installation makes you SWOON!

#1 Post by Condolady »

Hi,
I had my heart set on Infinity Windows. I knew they were about a $1,000.00 a window.I was quoted with the extra hight sun screen(low E 366) and see thru screens :$732 per window for double hung (good price for 9 windows) plus $658.00 each for two bathroom windows.
($5,857.28 for 8 Twin double hung, 1 single double hung-$732 and two bathroom-$1,317.88 for the windows alone..Very happy with that.)
Then he quoted the labor of installation of $14,267.00. JUST the installation(Labor)! Good grief!!!! I couldn't belive this price for installation! Who is crazy--me or the installation price?? I told him he has to come down by 50 percent. Am I unreasonable???
PLEASE ADVISE!!!! I would like to add that I am keeping my frames, just the windows will be replaced...
P.S. I heard Okna 800 is an excellant window. Yes? Is that the top of the line? I do not have a Softlight Elements in rep in my area(NYC)-They referred me to Castle, which I was told was soft light-don't want that-only had one package and salesperson played "games". Time is of the essesence and I do NOT want to make a mistake.. What would be your second choice be if infinity doesn't come down with the installation price??P.S. I live in a condo 5th floor. Installation will be from the inside..
An Okna rep is coming Monday. I want a good looking QUALITY window!!

My friends and contractor who will be doing my renovation thinks that is WAY out of line for labor.
I am thinking even 50 percent less is too still to much from the feedback I am getting...

HomeSealed

Re: Price of Infinity installation makes you SWOON!

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I would compare the "installed" prices of any window that you consider. There is too much variance in where individual companies build in their profit (ie: product or installation) to compare accurately by breaking them up. You should definitely be able to get a premium quality unit(with insert install) somewhere between $550-$1k ea "installed" unless you have every option in the book.
Okna is a top option indeed. I'd definitely recommend taking a look. Elite performance like the ELements, and it is one of the nicest looking vinyl products that you'll find.

Condolady

#3 Post by Condolady »

I had aluminium "Fire windows" in my unit replaced 10 years ago . They had to be metal according to NYC code. When I first started window shopping I called this company to install windows for theses fire windows held up nicely and an excellant installation. They also repair windows when I had problems with my vinyl..Well whatever I thought they were going to replace my vinyl windows with vinyl, but they gave me a quote of $4,000.00 for 11 aluminum windows (plus 1 bathroom) WITH INSTALLATION. Now I am NOT comparing the windows--but the installation. One company wants $14,000.00 for the same type of installation(Just installation) as the company with windows AND installation $4,000.00. I
know I got an unbelieveable low price for the infinity--and I am sure they lowered the price in the infinity and
put that savings into the installation to make that higher. But still the installation is way out of line in my opinion. I know the guy who put my fire windows in did an excellant job and I wanted him to use him for Marvin windows. He handles some Marvin--but not the infinity. I just feel I am being taken here. I don't know much about windows, but the way the infinity explained the installation is the same....
I will look into Okna top line, Softlite elements or LS line.... The infinity salesperson said he will get back and let me know--but the price of installation is much more than the window itself. There is no competition here ,you must use their installers. There is good and bad to that ..
Over $22,000.00 for 9 double hung and 2 bathroom windows with installation??? I don't think so....
Softlite is tomorrow (going to showroom) They can recommend an installer or you can use your contractor and with Okna a rep is coming over the next day...Okna prefers using their installers (so he stated).
In the mean time--I do want you thank you guys with steering me to good quality windows for it can be quite daunting as to which is what in the vast universe of windows!!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

A couple thoughts:

-I really can't stress enough that the INSTALLED price is far more relevant for comparison purposes... and yes, at $2k per window with insert installation that sounds extraordinarily high.

-Are you in a high rise building or something of that nature, or is there any other circumstance that perhaps you had not shared about the install?

Condolady

#5 Post by Condolady »

I am on the 5th floorof a 6th story building. The immediate area has 6 stories. Across Queens Blvd you get the really high risers, but on this side--6 stories is the norm.
As mentioned the Aluminium windows I was quoted $ 4,000.00 windows AND installation. I m Not comparing the windows but infinity did give a $14,000 installation charge, Combime the two (windows and installation)and you get over $22,000.00.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

$4k for 11 windows is excessively low, and hard to compare in this instance.

While I still think that the Infinity price you are getting is on the high side, I do regularly see that product close to $1500 ea installed. I do not personally think that it is worth that premium, however that price is not out of the question for what is often seen, at least in my experience. The added cost in this case could very well be due to your location on a 5th floor. You can't simply put up a ladder to get outside access, special equipment is needed and it is not inexpensive to say the least. You also have potential issues with installers needing premium "hazard pay", the possibility of additional insurance coverage, etc.

Again, you may very well get quotes on great window/install packages that come in lower, however that price makes at least a little bit more sense with the added detail of the 5th floor install.

Many companies that primarily do residential work may actually decline a project like this, or just bid it extraordinarily high because it is not the type of work that they do day in and day out, and for the other reasons that I mentioned above.

The best course of action IMO is to proceed with gathering another quote or two so that you can make an informed choice.

Condolady

#7 Post by Condolady »

I think the infinity price is ridiculous. The $4,000.00 price quote I got from a Window company that put in my fire windows 10-15 years ago. Did an excellant job. I saw them do it. They pulled out the old and put in the new. It was 10-15 years ago and I don't remember every detail,but I do not want aluminium windows. This Company does high risers all the tme and office buildings. I have been declined because of being in an apt building(They only go up two or so stories)..
I am willing to go $10,000.00 or so--but NOT $22,000.00.
Well whatever.I just came back from a Softlite showroom dealer. I saw the Elements and Imperial. I did not like the looks of the Elements (Too thick looking side walls). The Imperial looks much nicer--not much different looking from the infinity if you ask me...The salesperson said there is not much difference in preformance anyway between the Elements and Imperial to warrent the price difference.He gave two recommendations of installers, plus I can also use My General contractor who will be renovating the unit I just bought next door to me to expand my condo(will put new windows in both units). I have competiton now and I trust my contractor who will be renovating my unit.He said he will beat any price.. I am President of this condomiuium building and I hand picked this contractor to do work on our building.He came highly recommended. He knows if he plays his cards right he will get alot of work from us so I KNOW he will be reasonable. We already tested him out on a few jobs for the building already.
Tomorrow the Okna rep will be here so I can see their window. It will be Softlite or Okna period. I refuse to pay such a high premium for the Infinity, which doesn't have such high preformance ratings as the Softlite or Okna and it doesn't look that much different in my opinion. Things happen for a reason and I am sure it will turn out for the best... Will let you know how the Okna window goes.
BTW I noticed that Okna can have blinds installed into the windows--won't that scratche the low e surface off the inside???

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Condolady wrote:. It will be Softlite or Okna period. I refuse to pay such a high premium for the Infinity, which doesn't have such high preformance ratings as the Softlite or Okna and it doesn't look that much different in my opinion.
Agreed! :D

On the Okna blinds, they are only offered in the patio doors, not the windows. A different more durable type of Low-e coating is used in this case.

Condolady

#9 Post by Condolady »

I just called my contractor and he said he can install --ball park figure--$275 per window--That is within reason!

Condolady

#10 Post by Condolady »

I saw the Okna Insultec and Enviro-star. Looks wise it is the same on the inside as the softlite, but I recall the Softlite had flatter outside surface (correct me if I am wrong) which would blend in more so with the other windows in the condo. Both had locks that lock not on top, but within the window frame on top. Both Soft lite and Okna said it is more secure , but also when you open the window you see part of the lock on the inside of the frame thru the window(Not as neat looking)..
Softlite has this weather stripping on the bottom of the window when you open it, it juts out quite a bit , as apposed to Okna has this rubberelongated padding which gives the window a cleaner look.Both are nice windows--minor differences as described.
Even tough I am leaning towards the Softlite--that weather stripping that hangs down the bottom part of the window frame when you open the window , I am worried over time it will look ragged...
Has anyone had this problem?? That neat rubber elongated pad (strip) that Okna on the bottom of the window when you open the window looks more like it would block air better also when closed. It's solid...
I am leaning towards Softlite for another reason, My contractor can install it. He has to remove the paint and such from old metal frame which I want to keep--he can do the whole project Frame restoration and windows.( I don't want wood frames).

Also Softlite offers both the (PPG ) intercept spacer and the super spacer, but it only mentions in the phamplet that the superspacer has warm edge tech. Which would provide less condensation around the edges??. . They call the supersaver an upgrade. I know I read on this discussion board that they are both sort of equal...

The Softlite dealer I went to is really a wholesaler. My contractor (or a contractor he recommends) has to buy it for me...I think I will get a better deal here too if I use my contractor...
Last edited by Condolady on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Opting for the spacer upgrade on the Soft-Lite from Intercept to Super Spacer is a good idea and I rarely sell their products without Super Spacer. Both are considered warm edge spacers.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree that you will need to add super spacer option to the SL window to get the same condensation resistance factor.
Both the SL LS or Enviro Star 800dx have almost equal very low air infiltration test results. That means no drafts with either.

theWindowNerd.com

Condolady

#13 Post by Condolady »

Super spacer it is then! Thank-you! Softlite LS I am sure now for two reasons. Mostly I can use my contractor who is very capable and I trust him. Most dealers want to use their own.Plus the dealer that is selling to my contractor is a father son business, for well over 20 years and the son is in his 30's I would say. Very helpful , not pushy.
As far as that weather stripping that hangs out of the botton of the window that you see when you open the window. If it ever gets ragged(which he says really shouldn't) it can replaced.
I also asked him today to just email a picture of the outside of the window for as I recall from memory it was plainer than the Okna,which has a "colonial design". I want plain and simple, as possible because I am in a condo and want it to "conform".I am on the 5th floor anyway(High up).
I will ask my contractor to price the double and triple glass. I want the solar ban 70XL either way. The triple window comes in both Argon and Krypton. I read breifly on this site that Argon is cheaper and rarley used in a triple. If I go triple (I live in NYC.) does it really matter(Argo or krypton)??
I am interested in having as little condensation on the window as possible and the brochure says triple is better. Condendation and color fade protection is important to me. Plus now I will get the best air filtration. I know with my windows now, being sort of high up in the windy winter I get black soot on the inside of my sills in my house that I have to vacuum. (NYC fresh air : ). I never thought you can do anything about that. This shouldn't happen any more --YES??

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

Virtually no on one is purchasing krypton these days in the triple-glazed IG's as the industry took a pretty hard hit a while back when the cost of krypton tripled. Most folks are fine with just argon in their triple-glazed units. It's cost over argon is hard to justify if it doesn't return on it's investment in energy savings. Prior to 2008 we did a ton of krypton filled triple-glazed windows.