Sliding Patio Door in Florida

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ricka057

Sliding Patio Door in Florida

#1 Post by ricka057 »

I'm finally getting around to replace my builder grade patio door and I was hoping I could get some advice from the experts.

It seems like every time I find a slider I like it's not available in Florida. The installer I selected wants to put in Alside 6100 or Simonton; their thin line model. Neither one of those are my first choice.

I was hoping someone here can guide me to something better. I told the installer that I want the slider to out live me, I don't want to change it out again in my lifetime.

Thanks guys,
Rick

Windows on Washington

Re: Sliding Patio Door in Florida

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Do you require an impact door?

I am not a huge fan of the KD frame doors in wet climates.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

PGT is worth a look, and I wouldn't rule out Simonton as it's a good mid-grade product. Sunrise is available in some parts of Florida I believe and they make an outstanding patio door.

ricka057

#4 Post by ricka057 »

Thanks guys, no it doesn't have to be an impact door, forgive my ignorance but what is KD?

I asked him about Sunrise because of what I've read on here and he was saying that it wasn't available in Central Florida. HiMark was my other choice but unfortunately they aren't available down here either.

I'm not opposed to Simonton but I've read mixed reviews, is there one model you could recommend over another? Is the thin door he wanted to install better than the Alside? He was also saying they could supply Pella and Jen Weld.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

KD = Knock Down. This means the frame is not welded construction and that it is screwed together onsite.

ricka057

#6 Post by ricka057 »

Windows on Washington wrote:KD = Knock Down. This means the frame is not welded construction and that it is screwed together onsite.
Gotcha...thanks, I'll make sure whatever I decide has a welded frame.

ricka057

#7 Post by ricka057 »

OK...these two might be out of my budget, but I looked at the WinGuard® Vinyl Sliding Door SGD570 and the StormBreaker Plus 300VL by Simonton. If they are I was looking at the Reflections 5500 and the PGT Vinyl Sliding Door SGD470.

Any comments?