INSTALLER QUESTION

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jackiec

INSTALLER QUESTION

#1 Post by jackiec »

I am looking to purchase a subcompact driver for around the home jobs. It should be lightweight and small enough to get to the hard to reach places. I am sure the Pros here have researched all the top brands and I wonder if you guys agree that there is a one driver that stands above all others? I have been looking @ 12v Milkwaukee 2401-22, Hitachi 12v, Makita and Bosch. I would like to know what you use and why? What you like and don't like about it? Thanks, jackiec

Delaware Mike

Re: INSTALLER QUESTION

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Any of them made here in the USA? If so buy that one. I have the Bosch and I always forget I have the thing as it doesn't have a lot of torque for any real window or door work. The LED lights are handy. I love all of my Milwaukee tools and you can't wrong with them, they also usually cost the most next to Hilti.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote:Any of them made here in the USA? If so buy that one. I have the Bosch and I always forget I have the thing as it doesn't have a lot of torque for any real window or door work. The LED lights are handy. I love all of my Milwaukee tools and you can't wrong with them, they also usually cost the most next to Hilti.
+1

Milwaukee or Hilti make some of the best stuff. My installer prefers Makita.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm a Makita fan as well. Just make sure to get the 3.0 ah batteries, as the 1.5 will die in exactly a year like clockwork.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

One truck has Bosch.
One truck has Craftsman, which is almost as funny as seeing a tradesman with Ryobi.
Our circular saws, sawzall, and hammer drills are all Milaukee.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I am a Makita fan as well. Used them since cordless drills came out. I tried other brands over the years but Makita was always my favorite, especially the 18V Lithium like this one I bought about 7 years ago.
BTW, more Makita power tools are made in the USA than any other. They are a Japanese owned company though...

Before that I used Yankee screwdrivers for my first 10 years of installing windows. They are the reason my lower arms looked like popeye's arms in my younger days. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAScEGXHnmA

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I think the new Dewalts are pretty nice. I run Makita 18volt impacts with brushless motors and 3 speed, 1.5 amp batteries for lighter and ladder work 3 amp for bigger stuff and for when the 1.5er dies. Always liked Panasonic, but could not justify the cost over the Makita.The little Bosch drills are a little weak, batteries are dead the next day if left in the cold and don't hold a charge that long.For a sub-compact I think I would take the new Dewalt, then Makita or Milawakee and Bosch last.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Milwaukee's tool drop off is depressing. They used to be the stuff.