Soft-Lite Imperial LS VS Alside Sheffield

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rgzzz

Soft-Lite Imperial LS VS Alside Sheffield

#1 Post by rgzzz »

I am very confused. We have to get all new windows because the previous owners covered up the rot and damage. I have 20 windows including 2 quarters.

The windows I like are either the Soft-lite imperial LS or Alside Sheffield triples.
I live in Illinois, have western exposure which is hot and I need to keep the blinds closed.

Any suggestions? The pricing is close. Also, the are suggesting Oriole windows for dining???

Any help is appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite Imperial LS VS Alside Sheffield

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

rgzzz,

There is quite a spread in performance and design between those two windows. Some searching on this forum will probably yield you more than enough technical reading information but the sill design of one of the key engineering differences.

The Sheffield uses a clip in sill design as an adaptation of a pocket sill window.

An Oriel window is fine for an aesthetic look and that is all that it really is. It is an other 50-50 split on the sashes.

Usually charged and billed as a small premium.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

The Soft-lite LS is the better window. Are you close to Chicago at all? There's a local pro who contributes to this board regularly who covers some of Illinois - Window4U. He would be your best resource if your anywhere near Chicago. He offers Soft-lite products as well as Okna, both of which are better than anything Alside offers.

rgzzz

#4 Post by rgzzz »

Thanks for replies.

Randy - yes. I am in a Chicago suburb. Love any help. Is it Strong Windows? I can't find them.

Windows on Washington - I don't know what a clip design is.

It seems to me from reading this that Softlite is better?

Also, we have casements now and are thinking of changing to double hung. Hate the inside screen.

Thanks.
Last edited by rgzzz on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Soft lite is MUCH better. A clip design is a snap in sill opposed to being welded. Snapping in a sill is a cheaper way to manufacture a window opposed to a true welded sloped sill. Cheaper is never better.
Additionally, with a snap in/ clip in sill, water not only drains through the sill but also
through the frame and ultimately out weep holes with plastic flaps on the outside of the window. These weep holes get clogged and can cause mold and debris inside the frame because water cant properly drain.
The alside sheffield is also bulky and has a high air infiltration number ..
The soft lite is a welded sloped sill and has a much lower/ better air infiltration number.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I would just ask that you contact him through this board as it helps sustain it. These boards (this and the sister site) are a tremendous resource for consumers, as it offers free professional advice from pros who know the business and care about seeing that homeowners make good purchasing decisions to avoid disappointment down the road.

The professionals appreciate the boards as well since it provides us with a higher quality prospective customer - one who's more interested in getting a quality product at a reasonable price then simply buying the cheapest window he can get. It's a win-win.

Here's a thread that Window4U has been active on. Under his name and photo is a "get a quote" button that will get you to him. Don't be put off by his photo, he's really a great guy. Just kidding. Honestly, there's nobody better in the Chicago area.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5888

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If Dave, Window4U, is a available to you, you would be a fool to do business with anyone else.
Great products to choose from.
But a nicer better guy.

theWindowNerd...

rgzzz

#8 Post by rgzzz »

Thanks Randy and Anthony. I used the thread here to contact him. So far no word.

So the consensus seems to be softlite is a much better product.

Thank you for your help!!

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the other pros. The Softlite Elements is in another league along with products like the okna and HiMark 800, and the Sunrise Restorations.
I also highly recommend Window4u. He's the man down there without a doubt.

rgzzz

#10 Post by rgzzz »

I am looking at the Imperial LS Softlite are they better than the Elements?

I am hoping to hear back soon from window4u soon.

Thx

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Basically the same window with the Elements having more bells and whistles.

If one were to claim that either was better than the other, the Elements would be thought of as the superior unit.

They are basically the same in terms of performance though.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

rgzzz wrote:I am looking at the Imperial LS Softlite are they better than the Elements?

I am hoping to hear back soon from window4u soon.

Thx
WoW's description is right on... I just mentioned the wrong moniker in my comment. :wink: Basically the same window although the Elements is slightly better with more options etc.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

Elements is also nicer looking than imperial LS.

rgzzz

#14 Post by rgzzz »

I thought the Elements is a lower end unit than Imperial LS.

Now I am really confused! I was told it was their higher end unit.

rgzzz

#15 Post by rgzzz »

I just looked and saw Elements is the best. I will look in to that.