Replacement window stlye

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
judysavary

Replacement window stlye

#1 Post by judysavary »

Hello,
I have a contemp vinyl sided RR home, 30 years old in a suburban wooded area. The original sliders for all the windows need replacing.
I have two picture windows on the left front of the house and three other windows on the front. Two of those are approx. 44" square. To save money, the
contractor has suggested using a med priced vinyl double hung for all windows in the house. I am having trouble visualizing those two square, large windows as double hung. Also I don't think they will look right as double hung. Any thoughts on that or somewhere on line that would help me picture how those two large square windows would look as double hung?
Thank you for all suggestions.
Judy S.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement window stlye

#2 Post by masterext »

Do you know the width and height? That would help out quite a bit. For example, a 40 inch wide by 30 inch high window probably wouldnt look good as a double hung unless you were able to increase the height by about 20 inches which would require some carpentry work.

fenestra

#3 Post by fenestra »

We replaced some steel casements with large double hungs, 53 x 50.

We are pretty happy with the look. We also changed some larger combo casements to pictures. More pics in this thread....viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5897

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Wide double hungs can get a bit odd looking if they are close to square but if you are okay with that, they still look fine.

Fenestras windows are a perfect example and they look great.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

masterext wrote:Do you know the width and height? That would help out quite a bit. For example, a 40 inch wide by 30 inch high window probably wouldnt look good as a double hung unless you were able to increase the height by about 20 inches which would require some carpentry work.
She said 44" square, so I'd assume that means width and height at 44"... I missed it too on the first read :wink:
@ judy, I think that it would look fine either way, but probably a little bit more natural as a slider. A couple additional thoughts:

-44" is fairly wide for a double hung. I'd make sure that you get a high quality product, perhaps with sash reinforcement. There are only a few products out there that I would say reinforcement is NOT a big deal in that width.
-Sliders really don't cost much more in most window lines, so I'd be surprised if that comes out to be a big factor.

judysavary

#6 Post by judysavary »

I hope this reaches all who sent info on my query about how double hungs would look replacing sliders. It would be double hungs for the whole house.
Yes, I would be replacing those front two 44" square sliders with double hungs. They
are on the second floor and about 11 feet apart, fyi.
Thank you,
Judy Savary

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to HomeSealed comment.

At 44" width, it should have a good DP or reinforcement.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree that a DH that wide needs to be a very good window.

TheWindowNerd...