Replacement windows in CT

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
orchidcrazy

Replacement windows in CT

#1 Post by orchidcrazy »

In CT, a 1984 colonial that currently has single pane, aluminum tracks, aluminum storm shutters. I have 17 double hung windows, 2 sliding glass patio doors, 2 picture windows which are solid glass flanked by double hungs. Downstairs windows are okay except for the picture windows, upstairs don't seal well so I get condensation on the storms which has already started. I cannot stand washing my windows because they are 6 over 6 grids with 6 separate panes of glass - takes forever to clean and they are never all clean at once. Costs a fortune to get someone in to clean them twice a year, but I could go that route for years and years based on these quotes. My house currently has stained interior trim throughout and off-white exterior trim. All quotes include between glass grids.

Sunrise Verde:
$25,990.00 includes a woodgrain interior, off-white exterior to match current trim inside and out. I could save about 4 - 5K if I go white. These windows include the Solar Clean glass, Solar 12 insulation and Opti-View screen on all but patio doors. This installation does not affect interior or exterior trim. U-Factor of .28. I was told they don't wrap exterior trim unless a homeowner requests, I have cedar stained siding on the exterior, it would add 30- 60 per window.

Okna 500 series:
$19,469.00 with a white interior/exterior. Matching trim outside adds on 160.00 per window with another 160.00 if I opt for a colored interior to sort of match current stained woodwork. This installation includes replacing rotted sills and wrapping exterior trim with aluminum. These windows have a u-factor of .25. I met with the manager of this company, not a sales-rep, he recommends going with white on white and pocketing the extra. Still not sure how I feel about white windows with stained trim. It would also change the exterior look of the home since I have cream trim now and would then be white like everyone else.

Marvin Infinity:
$34,650.00 for Ultrex with Everwood interior that I would need to stain, colored exterior to match my trim. I can drop this down to $29,812.00 if I opt for a white interior. These windows have a u-factor of .30. These are beautiful windows, but not for us; I can't afford them.

I also looked at both Anderson Woodwright and Anderson 400 Series Tilt-Wash. Those windows were white on/White, not as efficient, more expensive than the installed prices of the Okna but did not include installation. so are also not for us.

Honest opinions on Sunrise Verde vs Okna 500? I know the Okna 800 series is highly spoken of, adds on a price as well. The Okna person, from a top 500 installer, said the 500 series is their best selling window in the Okna line, He also sells JELD-WEN, Marvin and a slew of other windows - this is the one he likes.

Honest opinion on white windows surrounded by dark trim inside?

I keep thinking I could just continue covering the upstairs windows and buy YEARS of plastic and still have money left over...

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Replacement windows in CT

#2 Post by masterext »

The price disparity between the sunrise verde and okna 500 is due to the sunrise quote including a woodgrain interior as well as a colored exterior; that will certainly add alot to the final cost, hence the much higher price.
When someone calls a vinyl window " plastic", i automatically assume the post is made by a company that sells wood or fiberglass windows. The word plastic conjures up images of cheap vinyl windows that are sold at home depot, lowes, and other building supply stores; certainly not the higher end pvc windows manufactured by sunrise, soft lite, or okna . These windows have more structural integrity than a wood window.
Im not accusing you as being a salesman, i am certain you are a home owner, just needed to give my 2 cents on the plastic part of the post.

orchidcrazy

#3 Post by orchidcrazy »

Did you read my post? :( Who called the windows plastic? If you read the post I wrote that I keep thinking that I can continue covering my current windows in plastic - that is what those window kits are made of isn't it? clear plastic with double sided tape - and save myself thousands and thousands.

Salesman? Ha! 16 years as a stay at home mom - far, far, FAR from a salesperson.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You do have be a bit of a salesman when you are selling ideas to kids :D

I will say the same thing that I did on the other board...the look is completely up to you. If you go with vinyl, you have a great option in the Okna 500 or 800 and I see no reason to go with the Sunrise by comparison if you get the option 800 and woodgrain to match.

If you want to stain or paint the windows, take a peak at the Starmark as a comparative to the Infinity.

You have looked at some nice windows already and just have to narrow down the aesthetics and what you want to achieve with the final look.