Okna 800, magnetic seal

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rzmwindow

Okna 800, magnetic seal

#1 Post by rzmwindow »

Does anyone have insight on the performance of the Okna 800 window magnetic seal? I looked at both the 800/500 and feel the 500 overall has a better seal. I was able to move the sashes up/down ~ 1/4 inch and therefore disengage the magnetic seal while the window was locked. I'm also concerned it will be somewhat useless given the slightest amount of dirt on the sill. The 500's bulb type seal seems more positive and reliable (especially given I was not able to move the sash when the lock was engaged? Anyone with similar experiences? I know the 800 is rated better (air-infiltration).

Thanks,
Mich

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 800, magnetic seal

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The testing data demonstrates that the 800 gets the nod in terms of tightness. Obviously the difference is fractional at that point.

Having installed a bunch of each and some in the same home, for what it is worth, the 800 seems to be a bit tighter.

The Okna windows do not rely on a compression seal (i.e. when you turn the cam lock it does not really force the sash down hard and compress it into the sill). I have seen and previously installed windows that rely on this compression application. After a few years, those seals wear out and you are left with a drafty window.

With the Okna window, the head jamb is well weatherstripped that eliminates the necessity for that type of compression at the sill. You just need good and level contact across the sill interface.

The magnetic seal does tend to provide a bit better seal.

For what its worth, I prefer the metal handle on the 800 as well.

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

When i first viewed the okna 800, the magnetic seal was the feature i seemed to gravitate towards along with the composite reinforcement. It was a very sleek design and was robust to say the least.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WoW's comments.

A few of my observations:

-The interlock lip on the sill keeps that area where the magnetic seal sits fairly clean. Even if at some point debris did accumulate, you'd want to clean that out regardless of which window or type of seal that you have.

-The amount of "slop" in that window is absolutely miniscule compared to most other products, and that small amount is easily taken up by the flex in the casing of the magnetic seal. I've never seen an 800 that move 1/4", you must have seen a sample with some serious mileage on it.

-Having sold/installed thousands of Okna 800's, I have yet to receive a service call on air leakage at the sill, or from any place on the window for that matter.

You will be very happy with the product if that is the direction that you choose to go.