Help Comparing Quotes

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
paramom3

Help Comparing Quotes

#1 Post by paramom3 »

So far I have received two quotes. I have 14 double-hung poor-quality (builder-grade) wood windows that I want to replace with mid-grade vinyl. I am not sure if one of these windows is better quality than the other. Comments/advice would be much appreciated. Oh, and I live in lower Michigan.

Quote #1 - United Windows 4800 (Lowe's)- $5567 "out-the-door"

Quote #2 - Provia Aeris VT800 (private door and window company) - $6288 "out-the-door"

I'm thinking the Provia is better quality? If anyone can offer additional information, please let me know.

Windows on Washington

Re: Help Comparing Quotes

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What glass options were quoted in each?

Given your climate, I cannot foresee a reason to go with anything but triple pane.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

United 4800 is not a very good window at all .. The provia is much better designed.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, Provia would be my preference.

paramom3

#5 Post by paramom3 »

The Provia invoice says "DLA-UV insulated glass w/super spacer; insulated frames; nomar exterior cladding; Boss 50 yr silicone; lifetime non-prorated and transferrable warranty."

Provia VT800 Series standard features: ComforTech DLA-UV warm edge glazing system; 7/8" insulating glass; Compound Tension balance system; welded frame & sash construction; exterior glazing; extruded sloped sill; cove sash profile; two dual tech sweep locks and tilt latches; dual deluxe vent lock; roll-formed aluminum Better Vue screen with fiberglass mesh.

The salesman said he didn't feel that triple-pane glass was necessary in our climate? He said if we lived in Minnesota or Alaska maybe, but not here. I should add that I live in extreme southeastern Michigan, just a mile north of the Ohio border.

I would be paying about $415 per window installed for these (Provia). United 4800's work out to $366 installed. I know price isn't everything though......and it sounds as though the Aeris is a much nicer window?

Thank you very much to all!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes...the Provia is the better of the windows.

No...your salesperson is incorrect on triple pane. It is not overkill and at that price, I would have him/her quote what the triple upgrade is.

paramom3

#7 Post by paramom3 »

Thanks so much! I will ask about the triple-pane.

I have scheduled another quote for Thursday and would like to make a decision soon.

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all the invaluable information that can be gleaned from coming here. Boy, are we fortunate! :-)

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tell all your friends!!!

Let us know how it turns out as well.

:D :D

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the above. That is a very low price for that window installed, so I'd definitely look into triple pane. That would bring you to an R5 rating which is very good at what looks to be a very reasonable price.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia is hands down the better window, and that is a very, very inexpensive price for that window installed and capped. I rarely do the ProVia vinyl products as I tend to like the offerings from Soft-Lite, OKNA, Affinity, and Sunrise a little better for the cost. ProVia does make a decent window in the model that you were quoted. I drove all the way from NJ our Texas last February and installed 20 ProVia vinyl DH's in my brother's house near Texas. ProVia was the only window manufacturer that could help me out in regards to shipping the windows to a fellow ProVia dealer near Dallas.

ProVia does a real nice job of in-house glazing with their insulated glass units utilizing the non-metal Super Spacer. For the Dallas climate we opted for glass package with a low SHGC number and double-glazing (still had low-e & argon). In your region, it can't hurt to price out triple-glazing and that's what I'd want in my own house.

paramom3

#11 Post by paramom3 »

You guys are amazing!

Actually, I live about 5 miles from the Sunrise factory. The salesman who gave me the quote on Provia said Sunrise would be quite a bit more expensive.....thus the reason he suggested the Aeris. (I had told him we'd be here another 10-15 years so didn't need a "Cadillac" window.....just a solid, sound, mid-grade.)

When the Polar Vortex visited last week, I learned just how drafty, cold, and inefficient my current windows are. Scary. I'm pretty sure ANY vinyl replacement we choose will be far better than what's here now (17 year old wood, builder-grade)!

I checked the OKNA website. That brand does not seem to be available near me. Today I will call on the others mentioned to see if any locals carry them.

So good to have your help, guys. I'll be back with more questions before this is over! :-)

paramom3

#12 Post by paramom3 »

WoW and anyone else who's interested,

I just got an email back regarding the upgrade to triple pane. Salesman said it would be about $975 more......but he would give me a 20% discount which takes it down to $776. So -- total for triple-pane Provia's would be $7064 installed.

He reiterated that he didn't think triple-panes were necessary, but would be happy to give us whatever we want.

Gosh.....$776 more for triple panes sounds very reasonable, do you think??

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

$55 for a triple upgrade is very reasonable.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Very reasonable... He might change his tune next year when many double pane units no longer meet energy star requirements.

s2israw

#15 Post by s2israw »

Windows on Washington wrote:What glass options were quoted in each?

Given your climate, I cannot foresee a reason to go with anything but triple pane.

I know I am hijacking this thread, but what brands would you recommend for a triple pane in West Central Michigan?