Calling all window experts.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
yedi015

Calling all window experts.

#1 Post by yedi015 »

I am looking for a solid duble hung Vinyl or Fiberglass replacement window for a DIY job. I live in CT. and plan on being here for many years to come. I want an energy star qualified window. Also I am looking for one with a reasonable price tag. I dont want to spend 400.00 a window if I dont have to. I need one that will last the test of time. I already have Vinyl siding on the house and my old windows are already capped. I would love to change the capping also. I am looking to do a few at a time. Any help is welcome and thanks in advance.

yedi015

windows.

#2 Post by yedi015 »

could use some help anyone

Tru_blue

DIY Job

#3 Post by Tru_blue »

It's hard to answer your question because there are good vinyl and fiberglass windows out there, but many of the nicest vinyl windows are sold through dealers on an installed basis. The fiberglass products, all of which are catagorically pretty tough and pretty good, usually cost a bit more (more than vinyl but less than wood) but you can buy those yourself to install. Pella Impervia, Marvin Infinity, and Comfort Line would be some good fiberglass choices. Not sure which good vinyl brands to recommend that you can buy and install yourself. Some companies don't like to sell their upper end products without installation because if not done right it makes the product and company look bad due to poor installation.

ChadCam

#4 Post by ChadCam »

yedi015,

I suggest you contact the window companies you are considering and request referrals (actual customers) from them. Call the referrals (actual customers) then make your decision.

Best of luck,

Chad

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

Yedi... as your post has requested the advice of experts, be careful of those who post and don't qualify. Tru_blue had some good advice.

yedi015

windows

#6 Post by yedi015 »

where can I buy any of these windows Pella,Marvin,comfort line I cant find a store. I live in CT. but will also purchase online. also how much are these roughly.

wayside

#7 Post by wayside »

Marvin's website lists all their distributors, you can look up one in your area an call them. I think most companies you are interested in list their distirbutors on their web site.

Just as one data point, I got a quote on a Marvin Infinity fiberglass window from a distributor in the Boston area, for a double-hung white/white no grids, about 30x48, it was $325/window.