ProVia VT800 vs Polaris UltraWeld

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
paramom3

ProVia VT800 vs Polaris UltraWeld

#1 Post by paramom3 »

OK guys -- I had another company here today that offers Polaris UltraWeld. I think my choice is going to be between ProVia and Polaris.

Both companies have their own installers (no sub-contractors) and offer the same warranties. Both seem very professional, well-managed, and have been respected members of the local business community for many years.

Quotes are (both double-pane):

ProVia VT800 - $6288
Polaris UltraWeld - $6510

Other than the Polaris being better-known & ProVia relatively new to the market, do you think there is much difference in quality between the two?

We could get triple-pane ProVias for about $7,000. I forgot to ask how much triple-pane Polaris would be......

Windows on Washington

Re: ProVia VT800 vs Polaris UltraWeld

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ask about the UltraWeld triple upgrade and post that number up as well.

Comparing like glass packages...I prefer the structure in the UltraWeld as well as the lower air infiltration numbers.

paramom3

#3 Post by paramom3 »

Hi WoW -

The guy just called me back. Went into a very long speel explaining (I wrote this down word for word):

"There is no difference between double-glaze double pane low e glass & triple pane. The BTU meter reading is the same. Only difference is that it doesn't have a heat mirror. They don't even make one." Added that, in his opinion, triple-pane is totally unnecessary, but they would give us whatever we want. (Same thing the other salesman told me....except he didn't go into the "speel.")

This company wants $975 more for triple pane (no 20% discount like the Provia company offered).

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

So, this sales rep's explanation is based off of tainted hand kit that shows most likely a triple-glazed glass sample without low-e & argon I'm guessing? If we pull down the information from the NFRC website from any random participating manufacturer and compare an identical window with double and triple-glazing, the numbers are different. I'd rather have a conversation with a toy furby that 99% of home improvement sales reps. Such gibberish…..

The ProVia lines that are available to me are from the Integra line and they don't feature triple-point weatherstripping which I feel is very important to northern heating climate. I think that the Polaris may have the triple contact on the sashes.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Polaris ultraweld does come with triple fin weather stripping.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I prefer the Polaris UW in this comparison. That said, this sales guy is either a doofus, or there is something getting lost in translation here. You mentioned Heat Mirror. Is your "double pane" Polaris quote with Heat Mirror glass? If so, it is indeed going to offer similar performance to triple pane, and gives you the better value here (price). If he is just throwing all of these names and figures around even though you are only quoted with regular double pane, then he is a goof-ball and you should moving on, or at least go up the ladder at that company to someone who knows what they are talking about.
For reference, Heat Mirror is a suspended film inside of a double pane glass unit. Its intent is essentially to offer the performance of triple pane without the weight. It does that quite successfully, however it has had issues of its own over the years. Supposedly those failure issues are rectified in the newer products, but that will depend on who you ask. :wink:

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Getting the performance data on the exact models that you're potentially purchasing is a good idea. I like heat mirror by the way. Does a nice job with sound too.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:Getting the performance data on the exact models that you're potentially purchasing is a good idea. I like heat mirror by the way. Does a nice job with sound too.
Exactly! Good advice

paramom3

#9 Post by paramom3 »

Boy, this sure can get confusing. :-( To be honest, I really like the local company who offers ProVia. The sales rep seemed very genuine, honest, and respectful.

I also like the ProVia (as a manufacturer) and what they strive for (they have a very nice video that explains the company goals and mission statement).

Although the Polaris may be a superior (is it really?) product, I feel reluctant to do business with the company who offers it. I'm not sure if that is because I didn't care for the sales rep -- or it's my sixth sense telling me to steer clear.

Tomorrow I have one more estimate scheduled. This company said they can get any brand of windows we want, because they will work directly with the manufacturer. I plan to ask them for pricing on both windows and see what kind of numbers they present.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia reserves the "Aeris" label for some of their larger volume dealers. I have a much larger dealer that is about 45 minutes away from me that is also a distributor. I've purchased some of the hybrid wood interior pre-finished Aeris products from them in the past. I didn't know exact details of that VT 800 until I just got into the ProVia brochure PDF file. It's virtually the same as their Integra flagship window except the Integra doesn't feature the Dual Tech locks that house the tilting mechanisms. Those are a nice touch and becoming more and more popular these days. I mention this as other than the difference in locks, it is the exact window that a installed for my brother last year. Pretty good window. I don't think that you would be disappointed. Only knock may be that 2-point weather-stripping contact as my brother's windows only had the 2-point contact like most mid-grade offerings. In Texas, it's not a big deal. I'm guessing that the Air Leakage numbers would be about a .08 to 1.2? For a northern climate I prefer a sub .05

paramom3

#11 Post by paramom3 »

Mike, it was so nice of you to check out the PDF brochure. I really appreciate you sharing that it was the exact window you put in your brother's home. Knowing you've seen it first-hand is very helpful.

After much searching, I just found another company in town that carries the UltraWeld window that you guys like so much. It is family-owned and has been in business for 50 years. They have a showroom & encourage customers to come & browse their products. I plan to go tomorrow morning & check the place out.

Again, thank you so much for your kind assistance!

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a good plan. :)
The only thing that I'd add is that we are all in consensus here that the provia is a nice window, and that is a very good price, particular with triple pane glass. If you like the window and the company proposing it, you could certainly do worse than that option.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

I thought provia also offered a composite?