Florida Impact window Choose?. PGT, Simonton, SoftLite Gorel

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DLC

Florida Impact window Choose?. PGT, Simonton, SoftLite Gorel

#1 Post by DLC »

HI there,
I have been on a 6-month Journey regarding a window purchase here in Florida. This web site and chat board has been invaluable in the learning process. We own a mid-range income property (s). I have researched and found 3 excellent installer candidates and have seen their work and feel I have a chance of a good install and working relationship with any one of them. The 3 vinyl windows we are looking at are: SoftLite's Gorell 5300, Simonton's StormWatcher 300 and PGTs HS510. Can any of the experts out here share insights on the differences between these and value issues? Thanks much!

randy

Re: Florida Impact window Choose?. PGT, Simonton, SoftLite Gorel

#2 Post by randy »

PGT enjoys a good reputation in the industry for well built products, specifically designed to endure harsh weather.

Simonton is well known for good customer service, while their products are average performers.

Soft-lite enjoyed a sterling reputation for both customer service and product design. However, since their purchase of Gorell, they've done great damage to their brand by not honoring warranty commitments. Therefore, as much as I hate to say it because I really like some of their products, I can no longer recommend Soft-lite to consumers. A product is only as good as the company that stands behind it.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Soft-Lite's purchase of Gorel was just business, and does not reflect on their product or service. Sure, it would of been nice for them to keep the Gorel product line and honor there warranties but it more than likely did not make sense for Soft-Lite or anyone else.

fridge2020

#4 Post by fridge2020 »

I have to agree with Randy on all counts. Pgt is solid. I also like the Softlite- Gorell product as a solid choice, but the points that he makes on the company are valid in my mind. Yes business is business, and that's why there are consequences and rewards to every action. Softlite decided that the money that they would save by leaving Gorell's clients high and dry was more important than the potential damage to their reputation. I do think that this situation says a lot about the type of service that one can expect. I believe that the owner of Softlie is an accountant or something along those lines, so if I were a customer I'd be leery of them doing whatever they can to save a buck at this point.
That's just my opinion anyway. I guess we'll see how things play out.

DLC

#5 Post by DLC »

Thank you to all the experts out there. The repsonses really helped me prioritize my thoughts.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Glad to hear that the guys/gals were able to help out.

Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

:D :D

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Yes, keep us updated.