Is this a acceptable cost for window replacement? Western MA

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
KSA250

Is this a acceptable cost for window replacement? Western MA

#1 Post by KSA250 »

$985.00 per window installed for Okna 500 series triple plane with ESP (didn't go with foam filled frame in order to save $1,600 ($100 per window) since this is for 16 double hungs). This includes "lead safe removal", disposal/complete cleanup.

So total for these windows is $15,760.00 Install is being done by Vista Home Improvement which is highly rated on Angie's list.

This contractor initially didn't carry these windows, the 1st time we talked to them they were trying to sell us Vista Panorama windows. After doing some research I mentioned Okna to them and then they found that they can carry that window, and they brought the 800 over, but that was out of our target budget, being around the same price for double pane that the 500 series was for triple.

The contractor of course basically acts like they're the best windows installers on the face of the Earth (I guess no one would imagine someone is better OR just as good for less cost than themselves since they're in business like everyone else).

The contract is signed, as this was the 2nd time we had them come out, and we're still within the 3 day right to cancel. Just wanted to get some feedback on this to see if this cost is massively overpriced or just "on the high side", or "acceptable", because it seems that since the installer thinks so highly of themselves, they see no reason to offer a "deal" to anyone. That's my observation anyway. This is in Western Massachusetts.

Thanks for any feedback in advance.

P.S. Home was built around 1938. 2 stories.

Windows on Washington

Re: Is this a acceptable cost for window replacement? Western MA

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would say that is, based on what you describe, probably on the higher end of what we normally hear about.

Make no mistake though...I have heard and seen higher numbers out of folks pushing lesser windows.

That is a very good window and if the install is correct, it should serve you for a lifetime of usage. I agree with anthony that you do not want to go into this contract with doubts though. If you need to talk to the contractor or revisit the process, most contractors are happy to re-engage and discuss.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above.
That is a great window. The pricing, while within the range of what is normally seen, is probably on the higher end. Nitty-gritty details on the installation circumstances etc would really be needed to comment more precisely.

fridge2020

#4 Post by fridge2020 »

Do YOU think it is a good value at that price? The window is only part of the equation. The installation and company providing it are extremely significant and can justify a swing of hundreds per window.