Re: install review

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rl-27

#31 Post by rl-27 »

Install scheduled for the week of April 14. I'm wavering again on whether they should fully pull out the existing new constructions and install the replacements or do the cut out and leave the existing nail fin and j-channel. I looked at the sheathing directly under one window and there did not appear to be any water marks or rot.

If they pull everything out foam and trim with a wider PVC coated aluminum around the siding, is that sufficient?

Thanks again.

Windows on Washington

#32 Post by Windows on Washington »

Plenty of retrofit window installs, when done correctly, are living long, happy, and leak-free lives.

rl-27

#33 Post by rl-27 »

All finished. I stayed with the typical replacement install and left the integrated j from the originals in place. I'll probably pull the 3 1/4 casing and double check it's foamed out to the nail fin. Noticeable difference already. Kitchen is not 85 while the rest of the house is 70.

Installers were great. Pics too big to post, plus I took down my shutters to spruce them up.

TheWindowNerd

#34 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Glad to hear of the thus far happy ending.

toddinmn

#35 Post by toddinmn »

I love my compact Dewalt DW745, love the geared fence, power and roll cage design and has been very reliable.

Delaware Mike

#36 Post by Delaware Mike »

How ironically appropriate that there is a thread going about my portable DeWalt table saw. Mine has been a true workhorse and I considered it virtually indestructible until today when it was so cold that I couldn't get the blade to crank out of it's resting position. I got so mad that I picked up onto my shoulders and tossed it as far as possible like an olympic shot put athlete. It's done….. Finally, I can go get the newer model.

My rage came from allowing myself to give a family member my blessing to purchase a $250 Therma-Junk fiberglass pre hung door out of Lowes in which I agreed to install. Door slab was a craftsman style fiberglass blank with zinc inlayed caming. Nice to look at, but horrible to install as the mortising of the hinges was off and the threshold riser is complete garbage.

HomeSealed

#37 Post by HomeSealed »

Ahhhhh.... And I thought I was the only one.
Man those low $ doors sure look the part, that is until a 2hr install turns into a full day of work, and your installer morphs into an angry green hulk that rag-dolls a substantially sized (and priced) piece of equipment across your property out of frustration. lol:

We no longer install box store doors given that the extra labor more than compensates for the savings on product

Delaware Mike

#38 Post by Delaware Mike »

Job was at my cousins house on the road that my entire family owns all of the farms. I would never make such an ass of myself out in the real world. I had forgotten how much fun those box store off the shelf doors are to install, lol…...

toddinmn

#39 Post by toddinmn »

Hate to see what would of happened if installing a Mastercraft.
Saw the 745 on clearance at the Depot for $225 yesterday, I think it was the old model though but who needs all those safety features.